• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

273 headers

FLY 9999

Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
Just redid the motor and trans for a U/SA Belvedere. Just realizes that I need headers. I've seen Hedman headers but there a universal 273-360 and the 273 exhaust ports are different in size than the 318,340,360. Any help is gtreatly apprcoated. Thank you.

Just redid the motor and trans for a U/SA Belvedere. Just realizes that I need headers. I've seen Hedman headers but there a universal 273-360 and the 273 exhaust ports are different in size than the 318,340,360. Any help is gtreatly apprcoated. Thank you.
The 273/318 ports are the same size. 340/360 are bigger. There are no headers made specifically for 273's that I have ever seen. (and that goes back to the early 70's.)

Even if they are slightly larger headers on smaller 273 ports, it doesn't matter much, if not for all out racing, as anyone with a 273 is not seeking great output that a 360 wouldn't far surpass for nearly the same weight and size.

BTW, I also have a warmed over 273 in a b body, the motor surprised me how peppy it is.

He's building a stocker for U/SA. A 360, or anything else is NOT an option. And, he IS building it for all-out racing! And I bet he is seeking great output.

I'm wondering if you could graft in some smaller header tubes at the flanges, and keep the larger tubes down stream, as a sort of step header. Might be able to modify a small sbc header.

He's building a stocker for U/SA. A 360, or anything else is NOT an option. And, he IS building it for all-out racing! And I bet he is seeking great output.

I'm wondering if you could graft in some smaller header tubes at the flanges, and keep the larger tubes down stream, as a sort of step header. Might be able to modify a small sbc header.
Yes, I see that, my mistake, maybe fab a 1/2"? steel transition adapter plate between head and header, or just spend the bucks for a custom stepped header?

Yes, I see that, my mistake, maybe fab a 1/2"? steel transition adapter plate between head and header, or just spend the bucks for a custom stepped header?
I like your spacer/adapter idea. But I think he's worried that a typical 340/360 header will have too-big tubing
I remember the Stahl headers for the tiny sbc's in Jr stockers were TINY!
(55-57 chevies with 265/283/292)

! 1/2 transition to 1 5/8 really bring out the low end power that this combo needs. A friend who ran a similar 273 had 1 1/2 headers that came from Honest Charlies a good while back. Thought that someone might knowlwdge.

Auto Transport Service
Back