• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd gen. Hemi question

s/w theo

Local time
6:09 PM
Reaction score
A friend of mine (He's not a Mopar guy) just sent me a couple pics. of what looks to be a well-worn, mostly original gen 2 Hemi engine. I don't know anything about it except that it IS a 426 Hemi, with carbs, (Dual in-line carter carbs that look to be original) but missing the distributor, exhaust manifolds, alternator, air cleaner assembly & I'm sure other stuff. I have no idea what kind of shape it's in internally either, but the seller is asking $6500 for it. I can read the numbers on the intake somewhat, (2780544 above & 2780543 or 48 below that on the runner going to the #1 cylinder. Is it worth what the owner is asking? It's not sitting out in the weather, but it doesn't look like it was sealed up either. Oil filter is off, distributor hole kind of blocked off but not plugged up good, exhaust holes don't look to be plugged etc. I think the guy is asking too much for an engine of un-known condition, what say the experts on this? Thanks. PS, I wish I could download the pics. he sent me, but don't know how. They're on my phone.

Pictures of the casting date and part number as well as the information on the top pad, like the 440's have, would be very useful. Also knowing if the engine is still free (able to rotate the internals) is very useful.

Like Mr. Jerry said, some pics and more info would help. A lot of variables come into play.
Block condition and bore size
Are there any repairs to the block or heads?

I'll be in Pa. next week. I'm interest in it for that price.

$6500 is probably bargain basement / entry level for a semi complete 2nd gen hemi. Even if it needs repairs

So, Yes, unless it shows major block issues its worth the 6500 easily

I was buying my Satellite but wanted to check the Hemi engine it was sitting outside before setting a price.Disassembling the engine I was pulling drivers side head and there was a loose head bolt. Here's a picture of the block. Note the red lines, cracks.
HEMI BLOCK2.jpg
HEMI BLOCK.jpg

Last edited:
Treading on thin ice, I would want a tear down or partial. An engine block is right at $6,000, plus machining?

Well, I didn't know too much about the engine but, my buddy was one of the first to respond to the ad, it is already sold. Someone either got a good deal or not so good deal. Oh well. Thanks for all the help & info.

Yeah: If it's an original block especially with a happy date code the block was worth $6500 if in good shape, or it could have been worth $0 if damaged.
Value depends on what shape everything was in and what was there,

It would have been worthwhile to see if it turned over by hand OK

Auto Transport Service
Back