• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 speed wiper motor

Bill Monk

Local time
9:21 PM
Reaction score
Still working on the starter issue but after I get that sorted out, I'm going to need to swap out my wiper motor. Beside the obvious removal from the firewall, what is involved in the swap? Can I take it loose from behind the radio? This is one thing I have never done. Thanks in advance.

Wiper motors is where us b body guys have it tougher than the e body boys. You need to get under the dash and take the nut off. if you have ac its quite the chore for my old hands anyway.

Park the wiper motor, go under take the nut off, then take the 3 wiper body bolts out of the firewall. sounds easy right.

I would rebuild the entire assembly at this point, personally, they work so much nicer when you go through them.

Just removed mine for rebuilding.
My car has ac but I was able to get it out without getting under the dash.
I turned it on so that the wiper blades were pointing straight up, and that let me pull the motor out just enough to get to the nut on the backside.
Was still a chore and I'm not looking forward to putting it back in to be quite honest but we'll see how it goes when the time comes!

I turned it on so that the wiper blades were pointing straight up, and that let me pull the motor out just enough to get to the nut on the backside.
Was still a chore and I'm not looking forward to putting it back in to be quite honest but we'll see how it goes when the time comes!
thanks bro

See I have been there, this to me is a mistake, you will see when you go to put it back in, lol.

Park it, go under the dash and draw a diagram of how it is located, then when you reinstall it put the arm in the same positon, plug it in and park it, and then put it back together. I tried to cheat it long ago, with an a/c car that had a nightmare of a custom console in it that I didn't want to mess with. getting it out was a victory (still not easy), but getting it in made it all a waste for me, I would rather wrestle under the dash of a finished car than straddling the motor, nicking the **** out of my cowl, lol..

I was instructed to do it that way from the guy I sent the motor off to for restoration.
He is sending it back to me with it in the same position as I had it with the wipers straight up, so it should go back in the same way it was taken out. We will see.
If you leave the wipers in the park position, the arm on the backside of the motor stays past the hole and leaves no wiggle room at all to pull the motor up, so then you absolutely have to get under the dash to disconnect it.
I can't even get to it under my dash that I could see with the ac-heater box in the way, so I tried it the way I was told and at least was able to remove the motor.
I will deal with putting it back in when the time comes but I'm still 2 months out from getting it back.

thanks everybody for the input. Mine is a non ac car and I have heard that if you take the radio out, it's easier to get to. Anybody done this?

Hmmmm..... I have a non-A/C car and I was able to swap mine out from under the hood. Maybe because my linkage arms were old & sloppy?

One little tip I will share. When my original 3-speed motor burned out many years ago (70 B-body) I found one in a C-body. The "only goes on one way" hole in my wiper linkage (3" piece that bolts to the motor) had the "rounded out keyway side" in the square hole on the wrong side. I took a rat tail file to my 3" linkage (to make a second "keyway" on the opposite side) and that C-body 3-speed motor has been working for the last 20 yrs. without a problem. Sorry I'm not describing this too well, it's been 20 yrs. since I did that job.

Just replaced mine and it is MUCH easier with the radio out. I'm in the process of installing heat / A/C so I also have the stock heat unit out as well.

I do all wiper pivot seals, wiper motor seal, wiper motor rebuild, cowl drain sealer and front window seal when I deal with any of these beasts.

Hate water leaks.

IMG_1154.PNG

Having the radio out along with the defroster hoses does make the job easier. Even easier if the heater box is out. And yes, by all means, change the wiper seals & lubricate the shafts while you're under the dash doing this.

Does anyone happen to have pictures of this process? I’m about to undergo this project. My wiper motor moves about 1/4” then freezes, seems almost like only one blade moves. I have read there is a seal that wears out possibly causing this? I have a 69 coronet 500 ac car. Also should I take out the glove box insert along with the radio to make this a little easier? Thanks for any help!

I have one for sale, $125.00 as is. Works great.

Auto Transport Service
Back