• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 got a brother stumped...

Ok so after numerous, better yet countless, attempts. This thing is not wanting to start. It keeps spitting out fuel out the carb like it does when the timing is off. This 318 has a 4 barrel intake and 4 barrel holley double bowl single pump carb on it. I don't know what kind of cam is it. I just know the engine has been rebuilt has a brand new cam, .40 over pistons, pushrods, etc. I've went over the wiring diagram everything seems to be right. I've checked the timing gears and the cam and crank line up like depicted in the manual and everywhere else. I even adjusted the oiling shaft to be parellel with crank (as per manual) and at TDC the rotor button lines up to number one cylinder. next to fire is number one on the distributor. firing order correct at 18436572. It has a new coil, starter, horn relay, ballast resistor, voltage regulator, 700 cca gold battery, valve clearance set at spec.

I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT ELSE TO DO!

I've read countless forums, wiring diagrams, the manual etc... I'm so lost on this motor....

... at TDC the rotor button lines up to number one cylinder. next to fire is number one on the distributor...

That statement is a bit confusing?
Technically speaking.. if the engine is at TDC on #1, the rotor in the dizzy should be aligned with the contact in the dizzy for the #1 cylinder, or better still, it should have already passed the contact for #1. The coil needs to fire before the engine reaches TDC, so the fire in the chamber can expand and reach maximum efficiency at TDC. In other words the dizzy should be set up with a slight advance. Once the engine is up and running the dizzy can be dialed in.

Auto Transport Service
Back