• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 alternator upgrade

66bluewhale

Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
Currently the engine I got from mopar crazy.com doesn't have an alternator.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...ine-ready-to-go!!!!&highlight=383+ready+to+go

I've been reading up on upgrading the alternator to a higher amp version Like the denso 130
http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61642&page=6
I've got some alternator brackets from a 400bb. I can't seem to figure out how they go on. I'll post a pic of my brackets.
Do I need to modify or get new brackets for the denso alt?

There is also the Mancini kit. Has any one used it with success?

I've done a bit of research, but I'm just getting confused. Thank you for any help

Those alternators are light-years better than the originals. I've used them on a few builds. They all required some fabbing for spacers and brackets to mount. You'll also want to use a late-model plug.

I used the alternator recommended by AREngineering and also used their bracket kit. It worked out like a dream and didn't have any fuss what so ever. I have a link to a write up but it's on a rival forum so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link. I'm sure if you go to AREngineerings website it's there as well.

Here are the brackets from the 400bb

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Eagleone1983 is there a difference in size on the 60 & 130 amp alternator. The ar engineering bracket is for a 60 amp denso

I used the AR Eng. sold by Mancini. The adjuster piece needs to have more curve due to the smaller diameter of the Denso style alternator. It fit perfectly. As for sizes, Powermaster sell Denso's of four different sizes (93mm, 102mm, 110mm & 118mm). The total difference being about 1 inch. Mine is a 110mm. If I were a betting man I'd say the bracket would fit them all.

I installed a Ford 3G from a 96 Taurus V6. 130 amp and works perfect. Best part is it was just $50 at the recycler's plus $22 for the new voltage regulator that sits in the rear of the housing. Didn't have to do any mods to install it other than a spacer.Runs at 14.2 volts constant no matter whats turned on and looks damn fine hanging on the side of the engine. Now if you want to throw money big time away on some commercial alternator that's fine, but this setup is tried and proven and highly engineered with stepped output. Had a Nippo but it just couldn't cut it because it did not have split windings so output was all or less -what a waste of H.P. Nice thing about 3G's is that the case can be clocked to fit most any application unlike many of the other aftermarket ones.

For those of you interested in the looks of a 3G on a big block Mopar I've uploaded these picks. I did run with a single belt "Gatorback" by Goodyear but after installing a 440 double water pump pulley I increased the belt count to 2. The double pulley for the alternator can be gotten anywhere for about $16 and the shaft diameter is the same as GM alternators. The pulley diameters are wide and varied - 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. They retain with a large nut. Used the same bracket as most big blocks but I fabricated a turnbuckle tenssioner. Calculate your alternator RPM's before buying the pulley - there are tables online or do the ratios yourself.. Spacers are made of aluminum round stock drilled down the center.HPIM3814.jpgHPIM3815.jpgHPIM3816.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I removed the serpentine pulley and installed a single v-belt pulley initially then a double. There is a spacer on the shaft when you use serpentine pulleys, you don't need it when you install v-belt pulleys as the boss is machined right on the back of the pulley. This is one "kick-***" upgrade if you don't own a trailer queen. Wiring is simple. Install as a "one wire alternator" or use the pigtail for a "sensing" installation. Works really well both ways unlike some other alternators that require a minimum engine RPM. You will note that I needed some small spacers at the bracket when I went to double pulley because of the 5/8 offset from a single pulley. Belts are 15 series regardless of manufacturer.

Last edited:
I was going to go for the Mancini denso kit, but they no longer sell them. I went with the huges engine kit and ordered an alternator for a 85-92 Toyota 4 runner

I got my denso alternator and the brackets installed. The water pump pulley doesn't align with the alternator pulley. Is the deeper pulley a non ac?
Thanks for the help guys

Auto Transport Service
Back