• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 engine not level

stubbygda

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
i noticed the right side of my 383 in my 68 charger appears to be slightly lower than the left side (appears to be 1/16-1/8 or so). i am looking at the k member and center link relative to the oil pan and they are not perfectly parallel. i noticed it when i hooked up the center link. i have new rubber isolators from 440 source, the ones built to factory spec they fit perfectly. the k member and engine are same i just had engine rebuilt. when i put on the mounts the engine it was hooked to my gantry crane and the k member was on a cart. i used the crane to help get bolts lined up and put in. i also tightened them at same time. is it possible i caused the issue by tightening them without k member being perfectly level on cart and taking the full weight of engine?? is it worth loosing all the engine mount bolts and transmission mount now that it is in car and seeing if engine will settle? or am i wasting my time and i should just shim the right side. the engine had no shims before. opinions wanted. thanks

We don't know if the center link is parallel so dismiss that
Loosen the two long mount to frame bolts and Jimmy it around until it is level in the car

Tighten bolts

Don't forget to loosen the tranny mount bolts too.

Uhhh....

01 face 13.PNG

1/16" to 1/8" out of level?
This worries you? Come on, man....you haven't noticed the variances in the rest of the car? These were not hand built precision clocks or pianos. They were cars built on an assembly line. There are plus/minus tolerances all over the map on them. ONE eighth of an inch can be due to numerous things including the K member, the motor mount brackets, the rubber insulators, the car actually leaning....
Nothing to worry about.

Uhhh....

View attachment 1688678

This worries you? Come on, man....you haven't noticed the variances in the rest of the car? These were not hand built precision clocks or pianos. They were cars built on an assembly line. There are plus/minus tolerances all over the map on them. ONE eighth of an inch can be due to numerous things including the K member, the motor mount brackets, the rubber insulators, the car actually leaning....
Nothing to worry about.

lol. how much off is enough to cause issues? hey these tolerances are tight compared to those on my 40 ford!

If the fan clears the shroud and the exhaust doesn't rattle, you could be off far more than you are before any problems would show up.

440 Source mounts are not made to factory specs. Measure them they will likely be 1 inch thick. Factory are 1 1/6 to 1 1/8. Or like RemCharger said: loosen the mounts and wiggle engine from side to side till u get it level. Kim

Uhhh....

View attachment 1688678

Nothing to worry about.
Yes, I'd also like to know how you eyeballed 1/16".
1720059524345.png

440 Source mounts are not made to factory specs. Measure them they will likely be 1 inch thick. Factory are 1 1/6 to 1 1/8. Or like RemCharger said: loosen the mounts and wiggle engine from side to side till u get it level. Kim
i was only going by the info on their website according to them they are.
OEM Spec Engine Mount - 66-72B 66-73C 70-74E
if you look on their description they show thickness to be 1.4”. i didn’t measure mine.
thanks, i will try loosening mounts

Auto Transport Service
Back