• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Speed question

adart4me

Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
Alright guys dont know much about 4 speeds, but I have a trunnion style and a regular 4 speed, wich is better to use? Whats the pros and cons of the trunnion? They will go in a 65 Coronet 500 426, the trunnion is the original.

I'm sure some will have an opinion about which is stronger, but the regular slip yoke is much much easier to deal with. Unless I was doing a real "resto" I'd go with the slip

Well, the Max Wedge cars had the ball and trunion, but the slip yoke is by far the better setup for spare parts availability. Go with the slip yoke.

Thanks

Thanks guys I am doing a resto on this car and was thinking of the slip yoke for the car and keep the trunnion style on the shelf, I also have a original trunion rebuild kit so Ill probally have it redone and just shelf it and go with the slip yoke for practicallity.

slip yokes are the only way to go, unless your doing a numbers match resto. even then i would still go with the slip yoke and put the trunnion style transmission on the bench

Auto Transport Service
Back