• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Speed Tranny Issue

paul1969cars

Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
I have two b bodies both with 4 speed manual. Both trannies were opened up were gone though professionally.

Both were reinstalled in the two cars.

One car will pop out of third gear all the time and the other will pop out of second gear all the time. I may have put 100 or so miles on the trannies since they have been gone through

I assume I can adjust the shifter linkage either by disconnecting off of tranny and turning linkage either clock wise or counter clock wise. This I believe may hold the gear further in place and will eliminate the pop out

Am I correct? If so which direction do I turn it?

When I put the linkage on I did slide a screw driver into the Hurst stock sifter to be sure all were aligned.

Im at a loss. If Its not he linkage I need to pull both trannies back out again

Let me know

Thanks

I believe that popping out of gear is a sign of bad synchros.
The synchroniser hub assemblies is what I was told years ago - I had a bad popping out of second gear.

Sadly more parts are required for that repair.

If the shifter rod adjustments were so far out as to hinder a gear remaining locked in, you wouldn’t be able to shift it at all. I have seen the adjustable stops on a competition Hurst shifter mis-adjusted too tight and preventing a gear from being securely engaged and popping out. But Mopar Inland shifters don’t have stops on them.

Also check the shifter mechanism, some have adjustable stops that limit handle movement forward or backward. Mine kept popping out of gear because of the forward adjustment stop was too soon. AR67GTX Mentioned above...

Also check the shifter mechanism, some have adjustable stops that limit handle movement forward or backward. Mine kept popping out of gear because of the forward adjustment stop was too soon. AR67GTX Mentioned above...
Agree check the stops if you have them.

For the heck of it, check the 1/2 and 3/4 studs and the gearshift levers.

Specifically the squared off section on each.
If the squared off section on the stud is rounded off it causes problems.
Also, if the squared off portion of the arm does not have enough engagement with the stud it can cause issues.

For me, it would get stuck in second, once shifted into second the arm would spin before the stud/gearshift lever, and therefore never make it completely out of second.
Sent both gearshift levers off to Brewers, they made new studs with a deeper squared off section.
Now the arms have more material to seat to, and there is no slack.

For the heck of it, check the 1/2 and 3/4 studs and the gearshift levers.

Specifically the squared off section on each.
If the squared off section on the stud is rounded off it causes problems.
Also, if the squared off portion of the arm does not have enough engagement with the stud it can cause issues.

For me, it would get stuck in second, once shifted into second the arm would spin before the stud/gearshift lever, and therefore never make it completely out of second.
Sent both gearshift levers off to Brewers, they made new studs with a deeper squared off section.
Now the arms have more material to seat to, and there is no slack.
They can also sell you reconditioned shift levers for reasonable price.

I have two b bodies both with 4 speed manual. Both trannies were opened up were gone though professionally.

Both were reinstalled in the two cars.

One car will pop out of third gear all the time and the other will pop out of second gear all the time. I may have put 100 or so miles on the trannies since they have been gone through

I assume I can adjust the shifter linkage either by disconnecting off of tranny and turning linkage either clock wise or counter clock wise. This I believe may hold the gear further in place and will eliminate the pop out

Am I correct? If so which direction do I turn it?

When I put the linkage on I did slide a screw driver into the Hurst stock sifter to be sure all were aligned.

Im at a loss. If Its not he linkage I need to pull both trannies back out again

Let me know

Thanks
If you can post a couple of pictures it might reveal something.

Auto Transport Service
Back