• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SOLD 426 Max Wedge For Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrpmccoy

Local time
6:33 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Let me start by saying this engine did not come from the factory in a car. It was built by an engine builder and I can go into the stories as they were relayed to me. From what I can tell it started life at the drags in late 1962 and was then built to run closed track in 1964 which in never did as witnessed by the new OEM 11:1 pistons, no wear on cam or distributor gear, combustion chamber/valve condition and still has assembly lube present. The block, heads and intake (not so sure this intake was with the engine at the dyno as the inner bolts were hand tight and there was no intake gasket) are not modified in any way and in excellent mechanical condition. We originally thought that it was a time capsule 426 TMPHC as the pad stamp indicates but the stamp fonts are not correct for a factory car but MAY BE CORRECT for a MOPAR short engine out of the parts division (one would have to decode the short engine model to ascertain that). It retains the Chrysler Parts Division factor silver block paint. So here is an original collection of 62 to 64 Max Wedge race parts in the form of an engine. It comes with a Dodge Ramcharger race book from the factory and the "H" pipe. It is complete and correct from air cleaners to pan (I am not sure of the pulleys). It does not have the starter, alternator or brackets. In reality, this would need absolutely no machine work or internal mechanical parts though it would need to have the carbs and distributor rebuilt from sitting. It is located in upstate NY and the asking price for this piece of pre-hemi MOPAR history is $15,000. I am selling it for someone as the owner was a dear friend of mine and his son does not have a computer. Wish I had the money because it is likely to be worth a whole lot more to the period correct crowd if the short engine tag could be decoded.
Engineside.jpg
blockcasting.jpg
WedgeStamp.jpg
headcastingnumber.jpg
pistonnumber.jpg
pistonsinbores.jpg
combustionchamber.jpg
oilpan.jpg
distributortag.jpg
WedgeTag.jpg
exhaustpipe.jpg
196087ff-87da-4fb3-bd45-176ab333ea46.jpg
exhaustmani.jpg
carbsandlinkage.jpg
intakecasting.jpg
carbstamp.jpg

Last edited:
OK, the pad stamp is legit according to both Greg Lane and Scott Smith (Harms). This thing left the MOPAR parts division as a 13.5:1 TMPHC for a 1963 race car. This is std bore and look at the water passages.... no rust scale or anything. Closest thing to NOS as you will find. Make an offer here.... it is worth something. The heads are the same way as well as the intake, no mods and no wear.

This motor has been sold and is returning to Detroit to live in a 63 Sport Fury, wonderful legacy and Al is surely smiling. Thanks for the great site and to all the knowledgeable folks that helped ID this motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back