• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 4 spd help

KAPSBIRD

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1969 plymouth roadrunner. Originally was a 383 4spd car, motor was shot, so I went with a stock 440 .I still ran all the 383 clutch and flywheel and bell for a while than went to Chrysler at Carlisle. I got all new Mcleod clutch, flywheel, 143 tooth A12 bell. I got everything from Brewers Performance. Mopar Guys. I finally got around to putting it in this weekend and for the life of me and the clutch linkage is adjusted out beyond were it needs to be, yet still no clutch.
I am confused. any help would be great thx

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpg
    IMG_0236.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 352
clutch fork installed and correct way around? is the bracket installed where the clutch fork levers off?

IMG_0578.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

yup all installed correctly, fork can only go one way and i was thinking maybe a truck pivot inside the bell?

unsure sorry, maybe get some pics of the setup if you can, someone might notice something off

100 views.... with only one persons help. We have all been down this road at some point! Thx benno440. I figured it out. shitty website with fake ppl. FAKE MOPAR PEOPLE. I thought this would be a band of brothers. Guess I'm wrong.

Some people mate just really dont know, i would not of been able to help you except for that i only just did this to my car a few months ago.

KAPSBIRD... benno440 is correct. Not everybody is capable of answering your problem. I looked at it myself and haven't run across that problem, simply because I am not at that stage of my build. After being on this site I have noticed some things that may help you. There is a search bar in the upper right hand corner, get to know this. More than likely your question has been answered before. I have also noticed that this site is somewhat seasonal. Meaning when Winter comes people are working on there cars and look on this site for answers, when summer comes the regulars are not on here as often, there out driving.
There are many different personalities on here, some must know each other personally or have just communicated on here for quite sometime and they are quick to respond to each other. Don't let that stop you from perusing what you need or even contributing what you know. Good luck!!!

And some of us do not have your setup and just did not have an answer. If this is a finger type pressure plate it can be over centered to the point that it will not release. Check throwout bearing clearance with clutch released. It should not touch the pressure plate.

Ok, help me understand. You buy a complete setup from Brewers, and you simply say you can't adjust the linkage. Did you call Brewers? You post an ambiguous issue with no details or pix, then return the next day to trash the site & the people here ?

100 views.... with only one persons help. We have all been down this road at some point! Thx benno440. I figured it out. shitty website with fake ppl. FAKE MOPAR PEOPLE. I thought this would be a band of brothers. Guess I'm wrong.

No, we all haven't been down your road. What you are wrong about is your accusations of the folks here and the website. Brewers is a phone call away. Have a nice day!

Hey man, it's only been a couple days! Don't fly off the handle yet! Remember, you are getting free advice if someone takes the time out of their busy day to give you, a total stranger, help. Throwing a tantrum isn't going to help anything.

And what the other guys are saying is right! Your problem is pretty specific and most probably can't come up with an answer.

That said, I hope someone can help you, as I am personally at a loss here!!!!

To try to help, check the pilot bushing for proper lubrication. I did have this problem with my 833 and tried adjustments galore. Finally I pulled the trans off and found that the person who put it together didn't lube the pilot bushing. Once lubed, worked great and continues to do so. BTW, this is the first time I have viewed this thread.

yes, what the others have said about your expectations. I took great effort in getting all the correct parts for my clutch set up . Brewers website is an excellent source to make sure your stuff is compatable. Anyway, I still couldn't get my linkage to line up right. A call to brewers solved the problem-- there are several different clutch arm pivots inside the bellhouse and I had the wrong one. ......................................MO

Not many things could prevent there being 'any clutch'. If all the parts are correct to your chassis/gearbox combination, the first thing I would do is check that the Z-Bar is the correct way around, then make sure the ball pivot on the bell housing is in the correct hole. Either of those will throw out and precision in the actuation of the clutch. And this is assuming the correct length of push-rod has been fitted to the clutch pedal. There ain't a whole lot to that setup, so something has been done wrong, or at least one item is not the correct part.

Oh, and if you want to get more help, it's probably best to treat the MoPar Family here on this site with a little more respect. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here, and some have been known to travel distances to help others out. Charging in here and calling us Fakes is not the best way to get the help you need. :hello2:

Not many things could prevent there being 'any clutch'. If all the parts are correct to your chassis/gearbox combination, the first thing I would do is check that the Z-Bar is the correct way around, then make sure the ball pivot on the bell housing is in the correct hole. Either of those will throw out and precision in the actuation of the clutch. And this is assuming the correct length of push-rod has been fitted to the clutch pedal. There ain't a whole lot to that setup, so something has been done wrong, or at least one item is not the correct part.

Oh, and if you want to get more help, it's probably best to treat the MoPar Family here on this site with a little more respect. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here, and some have been known to travel distances to help others out. Charging in here and calling us Fakes is not the best way to get the help you need. :hello2:
X2 on z bar. The only thing i could think that it could be is the z bar is on the wrong way

Methinks Kaps has flown the coop, but in case they haven't...
I've been in both his shoes, literally. Had to figure out how to put together the whole she-bang from scratch many moons ago when I got a car in boxes. The factory service manual helped a TON with this and I was fortunate it had the right parts first time.
I've also been in the boat of being a "newbie" around this forum - still am, really.
It takes a while for the regulars to pitch in sometimes.
Hey, it's their house, we're the visitors here.
I dig.
Bottom line is, I hope anyways, is that we all share a common love of these Mopar critters and the smartest guys in the room know for starters that they don't know everything - but someone here does.

Let us know what you figure out, if you're still out there. :)

I'm a Fake Phony......:cry:

I would also like to thank the Fake Mopar community here for always answering my questions.
You guys Rock. :hello2:

It doesn't matter how 'new' anyone is around here....if you need help, the best way is to introduce yourself, show some pictures of your car....and then ask politely for help. Paying it forward with pictures will always win friends here on site. :headbang:

No Fakes around here (so far) :icon_thumright:

hope you get the help you need i have been helped every time i asked i love this site and the members are the best thanks to all who helped me

I gotta learn how to title my threads, too. Not gonna get much traffic with "lifter collapsed" titles. :)
It doesn't matter how 'new' anyone is around here....if you need help, the best way is to introduce yourself, show some pictures of your car....and then ask politely for help. Paying it forward with pictures will always win friends here on site. :headbang:

No Fakes around here (so far) :icon_thumright:

Auto Transport Service
Back