• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 still won’t budge. 70 RR project.

Wcotner96

Local time
7:39 PM
Reaction score
Ok. On my 70 RR
The 440 has been taken apart
Heads
Timing cover
Starter
Distributor
Fuel pump
Oil pan( everything looks normal)

Camshaft spins with wrench
Crank spins about 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn and stops.

What the heck is wrong with this block. It’s an 66 block on an 727(not sure on year) Only other thing that I’m thinking is transmission, but how do I pull the motor if I can’t spin it for bolt access?

Any ideas on what I should be looking for. It soaked for two weeks in ATF. Cylinder walls are extremely clean.

Transmission is my guess. Yank it all and go thru it.

I looked at your pictures ,,,,, it's a cool car and very collectable.

I didn't even think of that, its sat for more than 10 years as far as I know. how about would I potentially try to free them? pb blaster from underneath?

I ran into this once, but it was a 4 speed car.......

you could pull the engine and trans, and flip them over on the floor; might make it easier...........if, in fact, that is the issue

Possibility a nut or bolt fell through the intake into a cylinder and stops the piston's motion. Pull plugs and look into cylinders with a cheap Amazon scope or just pull the heads. Could also be a converter or flexplate bolt that backed out. Good luck.

Possibility a nut or bolt fell through the intake into a cylinder and stops the piston's motion. Pull plugs and look into cylinders with a cheap Amazon scope or just pull the heads. Could also be a converter or flexplate bolt that backed out. Good luck.
I think he said the heads are off.
I agree with the converter bolts coming loose.
I'd pull the bottom cover off the 727 to see what I could see.
You could always pull the engine/ trans as a unit.
It could also be a badly spun bearing, main or rod. That would explain it sitting for ten years.

Pull engine and trany as an assembly then seprate .
Remove the crank . Ten remove pistons .
Whatever doesn’t come out is the issue. If the pistons are stuck fill the cylinders with diesel and aceton , wrap the block in a plastic bag for a week and tap pstons with a rubber mallet ubtil they budge. If no success reapeat .

Does it stop solid (which i mean like CLUNK stop) or sort of gets super tight stops? if you get what i mean... bought a truck for $75 years ago that would turn bout 1/8th turn, took it home and in 5 mins found a loose converter bolt hitting the block and stopping it dead.. thing ran great after i tightened them up :)

Pull all of the outer transmission to block bolts and leave the torque converter attached to the flex plate the trans should just pull away.

Does it stop solid (which i mean like CLUNK stop) or sort of gets super tight stops? if you get what i mean... bought a truck for $75 years ago that would turn bout 1/8th turn, took it home and in 5 mins found a loose converter bolt hitting the block and stopping it dead.. thing ran great after i tightened them up :)
That’s what I’m gonna look for today. That’s the exact situation it seems. Thanks buddy.

That’s what I’m gonna look for today. That’s the exact situation it seems. Thanks buddy.
cool, i hope that's it :) the sort of hard "Clunk" stop is a giveaway.. a motor with something stuck feels more like a softer stop

cool, i hope that's it :) the sort of hard "Clunk" stop is a giveaway.. a motor with something stuck feels more like a softer stop
Unfortunately the converter bolts are all clear of the block. Maybe the flex plate bolts to the crank are the issue or it’s the trans.

Unfortunately the converter bolts are all clear of the block. Maybe the flex plate bolts to the crank are the issue or it’s the trans.
flex plate to crank won't cause that.. trans is possible but i have never seen it, but i don't know much :) that is a weird issue, i hope you figure it out.

Aha … personally I would pull it and go through it in case to prevent further damage . And to verify the integrity of it . You will probably spend more time trying to get it to spin than pulling it .
Do you feel comfortable doing the work ? Have the tools ?

Aha … personally I would pull it and go through it in case to prevent further damage . And to verify the integrity of it . You will probably spend more time trying to get it to spin than pulling it .
Do you feel comfortable doing the work ? Have the tools ?
Oh for sure, I can do the pulling lol I just didn’t want to haha. But that is probably the best option. It’s a project so that’ll just make it more fun. Thanks

I think he said the heads are off.
I agree with the converter bolts coming loose.
I'd pull the bottom cover off the 727 to see what I could see.
You could always pull the engine/ trans as a unit.
It could also be a badly spun bearing, main or rod. That would explain it sitting for ten years.
You're right! How'd I miss that? I'll blame it on old eyes...lol.

Did you ever hear the story on why it was parked?

Might be a spun bearing. Try loosening one bearing cap at a time until you find one that let's the crank turn. If that doesn't work you can remove each bearing cap and inspect for a spun bearing. Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back