• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 windage tray required?

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
11:38 AM
Reaction score
Do I need the windage tray on a stock ‘78 440? Not building a race car. Mostly stock. WT needed? It came with one.

It keeps the oil off the crank and in the oil pan which is a good thing. In sudden stops it also prevents the oil from sloshing onto the crank. Weigh the advantages and decide for your self.

It's a good addition, more so on a performance engine, not necessary on a stock--level build. Since they are relatively inexpensive though I always use one..

I think HotRod tested a BBM and here is their conclusion....
"Tray vs. No Tray
In theory, an oil pan windage tray drains the oil away from the crank and at the same time prevents the rotating crank throws from hitting an accumulation of oil. This is said to reduce frictional losses as well as fight oil foaming and aeration. Milodon, which makes the louvered tray used in our 440 buildup, maintains that it “can add about 12 to 15 hp” on a 400hp street engine. We decided to put this to the test. Westech removed the tray from the Victor intake/275HL cam combo and ran one last test. We found the tray really only starts working over 4,000 rpm; below that point it made virtually no difference in power and torque output. However, at the peaks we saw 6.5 lb-ft and nearly 7 hp. Of course, a static dyno can’t duplicate acceleration, braking, and cornering loads that can really ruin your whole day with a marginal oiling system."

If it came with one why wouldn't you put it on?

Auto Transport Service
Back