• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'516' vs. '915' small valve heads

big block convertible
That's why I originally wanted to save it, but it needed a body donor and I didn't have the space, skills or $'s. That was 20 yrs ago and I'm pretty sure I'd still be upside down on cost vs value. Different story if it had been a GTX.

Did you get your current car off local FL craigslist?

I seem to remember one very similar a few years ago.

Was a good deal, IIRC.

I was very tempted.

Did you get your current car off local FL craigslist?

I seem to remember one very similar a few years ago.

Was a good deal, IIRC.

I was very tempted.
None of my cars came from Craig's list.

TL;DR, Here's what I have/had and their brief history if you're interested:
- 67 Satellite Hdtp 383 4 bbl purchased in 1987 in St. Louis from a friend of my dad. I'm 3rd owner. Restored early 90's. Pic in my avatar.
- 67 Belvedere II hdtp 318 purchased in 1989 on W. Palm Beach. Advertised in the local Penny Saver. Owner history unknown. Beater car driven several years then parted and junked.
- 67 Satellite conv 383 2bbl purchased ~1993 from a guy in Boca. He approached me at a car show after seeing my hdtp. I was 3rd owner. Started to fix it got it running and driveable enough to move it. It was technically saveable, but not worth the cost so I decided not to take it further. Found a better car (see below) and stripped/junked it.
- 67 Belvedere II conv 318 purchased about 1995 from a guy in Pembroke Pines. He brought it to a car show with a for sale sign. I'm 3rd owner. Low mile car - had ~51k on the clock when I bought it verifiable thru service receipts. Drove it for a few years, has about ~58k on it now, but it needed some brake and suspension work, was parked and then sat. Now safely stored awaiting time/$ to get it on the road again.

All were mostly original, unmolested cars when I bought them.

None of my cars came from Craig's list.

TL;DR, Here's what I have/had and their brief history if you're interested:
- 67 Satellite Hdtp 383 4 bbl purchased in 1987 in St. Louis from a friend of my dad. I'm 3rd owner. Restored early 90's. Pic in my avatar.
- 67 Belvedere II hdtp 318 purchased in 1989 on W. Palm Beach. Advertised in the local Penny Saver. Owner history unknown. Beater car driven several years then parted and junked.
- 67 Satellite conv 383 2bbl purchased ~1993 from a guy in Boca. He approached me at a car show after seeing my hdtp. I was 3rd owner. Started to fix it got it running and driveable enough to move it. It was technically saveable, but not worth the cost so I decided not to take it further. Found a better car (see below) and stripped/junked it.
- 67 Belvedere II conv 318 purchased about 1995 from a guy in Pembroke Pines. He brought it to a car show with a for sale sign. I'm 3rd owner. Low mile car - had ~51k on the clock when I bought it verifiable thru service receipts. Drove it for a few years, has about ~58k on it now, but it needed some brake and suspension work, was parked and then sat. Now safely stored awaiting time/$ to get it on the road again.

All were mostly original, unmolested cars when I bought them.

We're getting off track here but...

Have you seen the dealer advertised 67 Bel II vert 273 3 on the tree in that area?

I'm a little tempted on that one, but I might not be able to restrain myself from making in 4 on the floor.

Price is not terrible for a convertible in this market.

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post. No, I don’t really watch the ads so I haven't seen it. Where's it posted?

915s are approx 79cc from the factory. 73.5 is the NHRA blueprint spec
My 67 Coronet 500 383 came with 915 heads. They measured 80.2 cc. I got them down to 72 cc with major milling. Aftermarket KB pistons. With that only have 8.87:1 compression.

Every1967 383/Four barrel in any body that I have seen HAD
915 Small Valves Heads. I only have parted a few 1967 383/Two barrels
but they also did have 915 Heads Small Valves as well.

My Mother managed one of So Cals larger Wrecking Yards.
I saw a lot of wrecked 1967 back when they were only a year or
two old and clearly never been apart (Some with less than 10,000 miles).

As far as flow, back then I ported several sets of 516 Heads and when the
915s came out they out flowed the modified 516 out of the box with no modifications
Except opening up the valve bowl pockets (Best bang for your time).

Putting in the 1.75 Valves in otherwise stock 915 made scarcely any difference in a stock 1.60
head without some Head modifications.

Last edited:
Best head ever made and only for one year how strange?

There are a few slightly different 516 castings I have found and the 67 ones have the larger exhaust ports like the 915!
The earlier 516 are very restricted on the exhaust and any porting breaks through pretty quick.

I have run mid tens with my 915 heads on a 452 engine.
Gonna try them on my new 511ci and see if I can find 0.5 in the quarter before going Ali.

I have actually found many 1968 two barrel 383s with 516 heads. I thought 67 was the last year. Who knows for sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back