• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6000# Towing Capacity 0n 74 Charger?

terrywalker

Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
I was reading the 74 Charger sales brochure and saw where a 6000# towing capacity package was available. I am surprised that with the right package, these cars could tow something that heavy. I nteresting. I can't recall seeing a 71 to 74 Charger with that package. Where was the 7 pin ATA connector, in the rear valance? It appears it had a variable load turn signal flasher and an electric brake controller. What all was in the heavy duty suspension ? what size was the transmission cooler and was it in the radiator or external to it? Does anyone have this package on their car now?
Terry W.

Towing specs.jpg

Guys have been towing cars on trailers with b bodies for years.
Look in the old picture threads.

Guys have been towing cars on trailers with b bodies for years.
Look in the old picture threads.
True. I'm not a fan of towing something a ton or more than the tow vehicle. Unibody isn't the best for that.

Many may not realize that cars, mainly the big wagons, were the heavy duty tow vehicles back in that time. Trucks were for carrying loads and doing work, they were not for luxury towing like today.

Dad pulled an Airstream with our 1973 SE. I'm still here.

I realize our cars back then were used for towing. My dad used his 72 or 73 Plymouth (?) Fury Suburban station wagon for towing our tent trailer. I didn't realize the Charger could tow 6000# with the unibody construction. I figured maybe 2500#. I have a 74 Charger, waiting to be restored, that has a trailer hitch on it but I'm sure it was added as it doesn't have any of the other tow package equipment listed on the brochure. I've thought about setting it up for towing but need to see some photos such as the equalizer hitch, trans cooler, electrical plug location, etc. That would be an interesting setup. Anyone have any photos?
Terry W.

Bumper Hitch 1.jpg

Bumper Hitch 2.jpg

Bumper Hitch 3.jpg

Last edited:
Most people back in those days only had one vehicle, so a trailer hitch was added to their car. I installed a lot of them back in the old days. Today I see all kinds of PU trucks towing loads that exceed the truck weight by 2/3 times. On the other hand, front wheel drive is not optimal for towing.
Mike

my AMC Rebel Machine had a trailer hitch, we ditched it long ago (4 speed car)

My 70 GTX had a trailer hitch on it. Welded right to the frame and bolted through the bumper. It had those overload shocks with the coil springs on them on the back. That probably explains why the 727 trans is not original in this car. Had more than enough power to pull something.

You can see the hitch on my 74 is bolted to the bumper and the 2nd photo shows it bolted to the thin metal panel behind the bumper which looks to be pulled towards the rear slightly. Were the ones in the tow package bolted or welded to the frame? Photos would be interesting to see. Was the plug in for the trailer lights in the rear valance? Was the tow package available with the Rallye Charger? I wish I had paid attention to my dad's station wagon underneath as I'm sure the hitch mounting was the same.
Terry W.

Last edited:
No wiring on mine for trailer, and no evidence of wiring spliced in to rear harness as it was not tampered with.

My 73 SE had the towing package. Heavy duty trans cooler, 11" rear brakes, hitch and wiring. Hitch was missing when I got it but the wiring and trans cooler were there. You can see the connector on the valance and the trans cooler lines in the following pics. Car is in Germany now.

00R0R_avXpKMXAYbl_1200x900.jpg
IMG_0693.JPG

I plan on doing some towing with my 65 Belvedere wagon. Some of these pics gives me ideas on setting up a hitch.

Bear in mind, gentlemen, that is with a load-distributing hitch. The ad did not say what tongue-weight the car can handle. After all, the ads say my Ram pickup can tow 12,750lbs "when properly equipped," but I'm a little skeptical.

@Project 66 . That's true. The brochure states "features a 6000-pound-capacity load-distributing hitch platform plus...". Tongue weight would be crucial. Our 20 ft RV trailer weighs about 2700 lbs with a tongue weight of about 300 lbs I believe. It would be cool to tow it for a weekend show and cruise somewhere (less than 250 miles) to see how it does. The Charger now has only a 360-4bbl in it. @T2R9 . The trans cooler lines look like they go to an external cooler that is separate from the cooler in the radiator tank, with the A/C condenser behind it, correct? Did your car still retain the electric brake controller in it?
Terry W.

I don't worry so much about the ability to pull the trailer. I worry about stopping the trailer. Do they have brakes in them?

The trans cooler lines look like they go to an external cooler that is separate from the cooler in the radiator tank, with the A/C condenser behind it, correct? Did your car still retain the electric brake controller in it?
Terry W.
Yes the trans cooler is external. Fed from the transmission first, output is then fed to the radiator transcooler and back to the trans.

Auto Transport Service
Back