• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Belvedere - Clunk when shifting from 2-3....

Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
I am driving a 65 Belvedere, 440, 727 (column shifter) with an 83/4 rear end. I have developed an annoying "clunk" between 2-3 gear and cannot determine whether it is in the rear end or in the shift adjustment on the torqueflite? Shifts clean from 1-2 ... Any thoughts/ides? Thanks!

try a band adjustment on the trany. you need an inch # torque wrench set and reset the torque value on the 2nd /3rd. band to spec. if that doesn't work check the backlash on your 3rd. member

Does the trans have a high perf valve body or shift kit in it?

chances are you have a timing issue between 2nd and 3rd gear shift. This is not uncommon with a manual shift valve body. What happens is that 3rd gear comes in before 2nd gear goes out.

I have a manual shift a cheetah valve body in my car. I have the same problem. This problem is often exacerbated with the popular 5.0 lever.

the fix it I'm going to try and spring is to slow down the third your engagement. Most guys use a freeze plug with a .140 orifice to slow down fluid going to third gear clutch pack.

Mine will shift pretty cleanly under reasonably heavy throttle.

-MHZ

Check out Mopar Action Tech for easy band adjustments.

Thanks! I hope you are wrong and it is just a band adj....but....it may be the problem. Too much ice on the road up here for a test drive yet!!

- - - Updated - - -

thanks!

It's all in the intermediate band release and high gear apply clutch timing. It starts with the build. .015"-.020" per clutch clearance in the high clutch pack. 15 springs in the high clutch (you need a 15 spring piston). Early (small pin) servo with two springs. Most street applications can use a 3.8 lever. That being said a little overlap at cruise doesn't hurt anything. With the trans assembled after getting the servo and lever correct your only option is the reduced orifice. I've never used them. Over 25 years of race and street with Turbo Action valve body's. I've never worn one out, They always look good when they come apart. No burned clutches. I've used 3.8,4.2,5.0 levers, all with success.
Doug

Manual valve body.. that's your issue. I'll bet it only does it while shifting under light load but not when you are shifting under heavy engine load?

Auto Transport Service
Back