• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet

adart4me

Local time
6:21 PM
Reaction score
Have you guys seen the 65 Coronet 500 426 wedge on e-bay? It claims to be one of 10 in existance, can any one else second that?

I saw it, .....No comment, ....I try to play nice, ......but I will say the listing had a lot of "what ifs" in it, "what if it had this engine or what if it had that engine" .....a car "IS WHAT IT IS" and they are only original once, just cause you drop a Hemi or Six Pack in something , that doesn't make them "REAL" Hemi and Six Pack cars, If you are considering this car, Buyer Beware my Friend, check it out. as far as a driver it would be great , but as a show piece, I'll pass.

No Im not considering the car, just asking as I have a 65 Coronet 500 426 4 speed and was suprised at the claim of 10 known in existance and how many people were bidding and how fast the price went up.

Avoids showing the busted out rear window, and the only picture that is blurry is the fender tag, go figure........

1965 11 hemi convertibles ????? 66 was the first year for any street hemi's

What a crock of ****.

FROM THE EBAY AD:

"Most rare was the Hemi with only 11 convertibles being equipped with the elephant motor, offered only in the single 4bbl version that year."

As you stated correctly, there were no 1965 street Hemi cars build let alone any convertibles. The only built A990 race Hemi cars and none were convertibles.

"Since the serial number does NOT indicate which motor the car came with, if you restore this car with a numbers matching Hemi, it would be one of only 11 produced, and who knows how many 1965 hemi Coronet 500 Convertibles still exist!"

So this guy is trying to tell people that since there is no V.I.N. to indicate what engine these cars came with (other than v-8 or /6) that you can make a 1 of 11 convertibles. First, ask this. If there was no way to tell if they were anything other than v-8 or /6, how could he come up with the figures of 11 426 converts?
Second, the IBM card for this car is probably available from Chrysler Historical that will tell you what engine came in THIS car. Highly unlikely that you could pass this car off as something else, which of course would be UNETHICAL at the very least.

WHAT A TOOL BAG!!:mad:

i agree there was 1 or 2 65 hemi convertables to my knowledge i own a 65 coronet vert you can look at the fender tag and it states what engine was in it 361 2bbl auto.

my pics 092.jpg

my pics 093.jpg

Any of you Guys seen a 318 Wedge like he is talking about ?:rolling: .............All 318s in 65 were Poly motors, the LA wasn't produce till 67 !.................and the Street Hemi reference cracked me up too.:rolling:

Buyer Beware, .....It just goes to prove you had better know what you are buying , because some people don't know what they are Selling.:rolling:

I was actually talking about the black with red interior hard top 65 500 Coronet with the 426 4 speed street wedge in it.

i agree there was 1 or 2 65 hemi convertables to my knowledge i own a 65 coronet vert you can look at the fender tag and it states what engine was in it 361 2bbl auto.

And WHERE does that knowledge come from?

There is a book about 1965 A990 (race Hemi) cars authored by a man that used to work for Chrysler Corp. I believe there is a list in it of all the Dodges and Plymouths V.I.N.s for those cars. I have NEVER heard of any A990 convertible and as said earlier, they did not build a street Hemi until 1966.

I was actually talking about the black with red interior hard top 65 500 Coronet with the 426 4 speed street wedge in it.

You mean this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODG...ewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2c523041d7

I have not seen any figures published by GG on 1965 cars as the books I have are 1966-up because that is where my primary interest lies. However I am CERTAIN that Dodge built WAY more than ten 426-4W 4 speed cars. It was the largest engine available in a street legal Coronet (race Hemi cars were not street legal) and these were the days before high insurance so I am sure there were MANY sold. I would bet that Mr. Norm's sold more than that alone. Remember, these were the days before E bodies and the 1965 Darts could only be had with a 273 as it's largest engine. There was really only ONE performance model available from Dodge in 1965 and that was the Coronet. For street legal cars you only had TWO performance engines available and that was the 383-4 and the 426-4W. The 361 was not really a performance engine as it was only available in a 2 barrel.

hmm looks fishy, but who knows, you'd need to see his "ducumentation" that he speaks of before ripping him apart too bad

hmm looks fishy, but who knows, you'd need to see his "ducumentation" that he speaks of before ripping him apart too bad

That's a good one his "duckumentation.":rolling:

I am not ripping anyone apart, however when I see stuff posted that is not correct I am quick to post what is right. We have enough "wrong" info written in muscle car books that tend to turn into "facts" because "well, it must be true because I read it in such and such a book." This stuff lives on in print for YEARS with a lot of people reading it.

sorry i mis spoken theres an article in a old mag i have that has a coronet 65 ht with a hemi and they did mention of 1 conv. test car i will try and find a pic and post it

I had a 1964 426W 4-Spd in my 69 Bee. Damn, I had a 1 of 1, and I sold it......DOH!

I thought I had a 68 440, but when I started to clean off the gunk, the 68 casting turned out to be a 63.

the car on ebay that 696pak is talking about, i emailed the owner and told him as far as i know they never built a 65 426 maxwedge coronet just a 426 street wedge and he emailed me back and said that i am wrong they built 100 of the maxwedge coronets and he has one that he bought brand new and still owns and it is #11 and he will never sell does anyone else think this guys blowing smoke up you know where or am i the one thats wrong?

i think if the guy really has a true maxwedge 65 coronet and he is the original owner he should be contacting someone like gg or mcg or some authority on these cars and show authentic documents proving it was infact built and prove everyone wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back