• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Coronet

Nope. No such thing as a 65 MW. People get confused by this whole "street wedge" thing. That motor was just a 426 4V. Nothing special. Hemis weren't available as a "street Hemi" (as opposed to the 64-65 RACE Hemi) till 66 as others have said. Not all 64 Hemi cars were aluminum nosed cars. There were some that were supposed to be for NASCAR use that were all steel. I looked at one that was for sale a few years ago. Was 100% legit.

This guy is either really uninformed, or is just trying to blow smoke up someone's skirt to try and make a killin

the guy has max wedge and hemi motors confused . He also has alot of other facts confused too .

Yes, that is if he is not lying about the whole thing. Unless he has alzheimers I doubt anyone that bought one new would confuse the two engines. It is pretty hard to mistake those elephant heads.:no:

Chrysler began production of the race Hemi cars late in 1963 which was the 1964 model year. There are several original owners that ordered a 1964 Max Wedge car and when the car arrived at the dealership found a Hemi under the hood. Chrysler took it upon themselves to make the switch without any advance notice to the buyer. If I remember correctly they built around 105 each Plymouths and Dodges in the A990 race Hemi package cars. That was the ONLY way to get a Hemi in 1964-1965 models. NO street Hemis at all. No mistaking a race Hemi with the cross ram and chrome valve cover that they all had. The cars also came with a sticker on the car that stated they did not meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and were not eligible for licensing for the street.

Yes, that is if he is not lying about the whole thing. Unless he has alzheimers I doubt anyone that bought one new would confuse the two engines. It is pretty hard to mistake those elephant heads.:no:

Chrysler began production of the race Hemi cars late in 1963 which was the 1964 model year. There are several original owners that ordered a 1964 Max Wedge car and when the car arrived at the dealership found a Hemi under the hood. Chrysler took it upon themselves to make the switch without any advance notice to the buyer. If I remember correctly they built around 105 each Plymouths and Dodges in the A990 race Hemi package cars. That was the ONLY way to get a Hemi in 1964-1965 models. NO street Hemis at all. No mistaking a race Hemi with the cross ram and chrome valve cover that they all had. The cars also came with a sticker on the car that stated they did not meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) and were not eligible for licensing for the street.

at just about every show i go to now people have to tell me about there 383 hemi or 440 hemi they or there dad bought new and should have never sold :rolling::rolling::rolling:

at just about every show i go to now people have to tell me about there 383 hemi or 440 hemi they or there dad bought new and should have never sold :rolling::rolling::rolling:

I have personally seen Two 383 Hemi's !......I didn't believe it either till I saw them, they are NOT stock production engines, we all know Chrysler didn't make 'em, They were both side by side in the same shop, They were old Pro Stock motors, Both started life as standard run of the mill production 383 blocks. The provision for the top row of Hemi head bolts were welded to the block, This along with other modifications allowed Hemi heads to be run on the 383 low block, It was a way they could de-stroke a Hemi to make it more RPM friendly, They done these back in the late 60s early 70s, before the days of picking up the phone and custom ordering a race block. I'm sure there's some old school, die hard , race guys out there that know of these engine mods.

I have personally seen Two 383 Hemi's !......I didn't believe it either till I saw them, they are NOT stock production engines, we all know Chrysler didn't make 'em, They were both side by side in the same shop, They were old Pro Stock motors, Both started life as standard run of the mill production 383 blocks. The provision for the top row of Hemi head bolts were welded to the block, This along with other modifications allowed Hemi heads to be run on the 383 low block, It was a way they could de-stroke a Hemi to make it more RPM friendly, They done these back in the late 60s early 70s, before the days of picking up the phone and custom ordering a race block. I'm sure there's some old school, die hard , race guys out there that know of these engine mods.

I think they were called stage IV hemi heads from the 80's and 90's that would bolt on a 383 also .

I saw an article back in the 90's about installing 426 Hemi heads to a 440 RB block, with mods of course.

Nope. The Stage IV heads didn't require the extra bolts (top ones in the lifter valley) but DID require external oil return lines be installed. Some years back someone also made some Hemi conversion heads for small block. But they were $6000 or $8000 a set, so there weren't many sold

These were Original Hemi heads on Original 383 Blocks. he removed a head and showed me the provisions welded to the block. after I started question it, I wish I had taken pictures.

The guys a loon. He had another 65 coronet on there awhile back claiming it could be worth $500,000 like the one that just sold at BJ if you put his 65 date coded Max wedge in it. Guys meds are off it seems. I emailed him asking where he got his info from and he ranted about having original chrysler documentation...funny how that info matched Goviers stats but for the wrong cars and even engines, made the #'s work for his auction.

Dose anyone have some info on how many 65 Dodge Coronet 500's with the 426 and 4 speed are still known to be around or in the Chrysler Registry? I also cant beleive the price this auction has bid up to 15K and still rising for a 65 500 with a 426 4 speed missing glass and rusty. I guess I should rethink this whole 65 Station Wagoon project, Im cutting up a 65 440 Coronet to make the waggin into a two door hard top...Na the two door hard top waggin is going to be to much fun.

just checked ebay, man that car looks like s**t ! the bid is at 15K !! crazy ......

Its not even a factory big block car....

Dose anyone have some info on how many 65 Dodge Coronet 500's with the 426 and 4 speed are still known to be around or in the Chrysler Registry? I also cant beleive the price this auction has bid up to 15K and still rising for a 65 500 with a 426 4 speed missing glass and rusty. I guess I should rethink this whole 65 Station Wagoon project, Im cutting up a 65 440 Coronet to make the waggin into a two door hard top...Na the two door hard top waggin is going to be to much fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back