• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 Dodge question

adart4me

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
Alright guys Im trying to determine if my block is the correct block for my car, I bought the car off the second owener who bought the 65 Coronet in 68or 69. I dont have the cert card and havent found a build sheet. But the block shows a cast date of 9-16-64, is there any way of looking at the vin and figuring out when the car was actually made? Or is there any way other serial numbers on the frame of the car that sould match up with my block? So far with the cast date and the original title date of late 64 Im thinking it could possibly be the original block. Also dose any one know what the stampings of R.L under the casting codes on the block indicate?

Is the car a 318, 361, 383, or 426?

Does the car still have it's fender tag?

The casting date is correct for a 1965 model car.

They did not stamp the V.I.N.s on the engines in 1965. All you can do is compare the casting date and assembly date of the engine in comparision to the scheduled production date of the car. If the engine was built first then no one can DISPROVE that the engine is not the original to the car.

The Engines were built before the cars were built, ...The time frame varies, on these some it's a weeks before the car, and sometimes months before the car.

If I had to bet on it without seeing it, I would say there's a strong chance it's the Original.

Re

I dont have the fender tag for the car, it may be inside the car with all the chrome and trim. But how do I figure out the date the car was made with out the fender tag, it still has the VIN tag, can I determine the build date from the numbers on the VIN? Im leaning toward it was the original 426 for the car, its still has the trunion 4 speed and original bell housing. So far the Motor was cast before the original title was given for the vehicle, but I still need to figure out the production date for the car.

I dont have the fender tag for the car, it may be inside the car with all the chrome and trim. But how do I figure out the date the car was made with out the fender tag, it still has the VIN tag, can I determine the build date from the numbers on the VIN? Im leaning toward it was the original 426 for the car, its still has the trunion 4 speed and original bell housing. So far the Motor was cast before the original title was given for the vehicle, but I still need to figure out the production date for the car.

IBM card from Chrysler Historical if they have it.

Broadcast sheet if you have it, have yhou looked for it?

Other than that I can't think of anywhere else you will find the SPD but my knowledge is limited on paperwork for 1965 and older.

Auto Transport Service
Back