• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Starters - early B - chat & feedback

The shim/dust cover won't save the starter. The top hole has to be sleeved down to fit a 7/16" fastner. Don't do this and you'll need to stock up on starters. Another issue is engine kick back when starting. That will definitely break the snout if the top hole isn't taken care of.

The shim/dust cover won't save the starter. The top hole has to be sleeved down to fit a 7/16" fastner. Don't do this and you'll need to stock up on starters. Another issue is engine kick back when starting. That will definitely break the snout if the top hole isn't taken care of.
Can you detail this top hole thing more, my 727 has a stud on the 'top hole' that I can hang the starter on and fasten down with a nut, I assumed this was original because it looks as old as the rest, but maybe not... the bottom ear mount uses a bolt.

Can you detail this top hole thing more, my 727 has a stud on the 'top hole' that I can hang the starter on and fasten down with a nut, I assumed this was original because it looks as old as the rest, but maybe not... the bottom ear mount uses a bolt.
The top hole in the starter is too sloppy for a 7/16" fastner. I think the top hole is around 9/16"; definitely designed for a larger faster. There's a lot force generated to spin the engine a couple of hundred rpm. The sloppy hole can let the starter rotate to the left; especially on kick backs and break the indexing snout. Anyhow, i sleeved the top hole down for 7/16" faster and no more problems. Another alternative is to find a 1/2"-7/16" stud for the top hole.

I have installed more mini starters than I can count and have never shimmed that hole. Never a failure. There is a reason that hole is larger to allow the starter to pilot into the bell pocket due to inconsistencies between blocks and transmission housings. Then the starter is tightened down. The poster of this thread has something wrong or is overlooking something on the install.

The poster of this thread has something wrong or is overlooking something on the install.
I think, per usual, folks on here just don't want to read everything, but definitely want to weigh in. Ironic and sometimes frustrating, but for every thread I make, at least 1 person actually pays attention and teaches me something, so it's worth the annoyance.

The issue has been resolved, the casting for the 65$ chinese starter did not fit perfectly in the pocket of the 727 and snapped the snout off. After the snout snapped off I figured I could still run it, since it fit perfectly afterward, but the plunger and gear are not being kept in pace correctly when the snout breaks off.

So now, theres a new starter, that fits correctly in the 727, still no block interference, and everything is fine.

I think, per usual, folks on here just don't want to read everything, but definitely want to weigh in. Ironic and sometimes frustrating, but for every thread I make, at least 1 person actually pays attention and teaches me something, so it's worth the annoyance.
With only 70 messages to your credit you have a lot to learn about this forum !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back