• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Belvedere Rear Spring Pack Question

Udderchaos

Local time
6:53 AM
Reaction score
My 66 Belvedere has a 5 leaf spring pack. Is this aftermarket? I would like it to ride a little smoother than a Radio Flyer on a gravel drive. I would also like the rear to settle a little lower. The suspension allows about an inch to inch and a half movement when the tires touch the floor from being jacked up by the sub-frame. What can I do to lower the rear and get a better ride? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any information.

It very well could be stock. Look for a part number on them. Should be on the bottom leaf somewhere.

You bet. If the number begins with a "P" those are Mopar Performance replacement springs and are not stock.

Most B bodies have the 5 leafs stock. Not sure why yours rides so harsh but my 66 was really nice. My original springs were sagging and the car sat really low so you may want my old springs!

1 to 1.5 inch?

Mine travels about 4 inches, and it has to or I'd never be able to get the rear wheel off.

Whn settled, the top of the wheel well opening is about even with where a white wall or lettering would be on a tire. I personally like it to be about an inch above that.

There are not any numbers or letters on any of the springs.. The car has air shocks that are not aired up. And it has about an inch and a half of down travel. It is fun getting the 275/60/15's on. I have to jack the car up by the sub frame, slide the tire in, the lift/tilt the tire onto the studs.

I noticed last night that the air shocks are extended to their maximum length. The shocks don't have any pressure in them. I don't drag race, but would this be a reason for the stiff rear springs? When the accelerator is goosed a little, the front raises, but the rear stays about the same height.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited:
Over the w/e my buddy backed the Belvedere out of his garage to work on his dd. When he pulled back up into his drive, the front tires went up pretty smoothly. When he got the backs to the curb they bounced off the ground. He wasn't going very fast, just over an idle to get up the curb. When my buddy and I both hang on the trunk lip and try to bounce the car, it moves down an inch and a half. One of the guys in my Navy unit told me these could be truck springs on the back. The stock shackles are at this \ angle while sitting empty. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Check the shock plate torque. If they are over torqued, that can cause it. Should only be about 45 LB FT.

Try disconnecting the shocks too. They sound like the wrong length.

With stock leaf springs you should be able to disconnect the shocks and bounce the back end of the car like a basket ball. I would guess somebody put a set of KYB's on it maybe? If it has a hydraulic shock (ala QA1, etc) they are very stiff unless under load per QA1. Disconnect rear shocks and let us know...

With stock leaf springs you should be able to disconnect the shocks and bounce the back end of the car like a basket ball. I would guess somebody put a set of KYB's on it maybe? If it has a hydraulic shock (ala QA1, etc) they are very stiff unless under load per QA1. Disconnect rear shocks and let us know...
The Belvedere has air shocks that do not air up/have any air in them. I'm hoping to disconnest the shocks on Saturday. I'll update when I get the shocks disconnected.

The lip of the fender is 2"-2 1/2" above the rim on a set of 275/60/15's. Is that a little high for drag racing?

And, the front spring perch that bolts to the body has two spring bolt holes. Will this 1 1/2"-ish spring bolt upward movement have that much of a lowering effect on the rear of the car? Will it this take the straight line out of the drivetrain alignment?

Thanks for any info.

Boy do I feel embarassed. My buddy and I jacked the back of the car up yesterday to disconnect the shocks, and see if there was a way to get the rear lower and smoother riding. As I was looking at the shocks, I noticed the pinion snubber against the body. We jacked the body up, lowered the snubber a couple of inches. Wouldn't you know it, the car sat lower, and rides way better. Chalk one up for a learning experience...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back