• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 coronet drum to disc conversion

moose1

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, considering switching to front discs on my '66 Coronet. Anyone have experience using stock spindles and what kit would work the best? Right now, I have 15" Magnums for wheels so don't think I'll have an interference problem. I'll have to switch to dual master cylinder as well.

I have a Wilwood Kit on my '67 installed by the PO that I do not like very much and will likely replace in the future. It's the one kit that would accept the 14" "Magnum" road wheels that the car had on it before, "without interfering", which is BS, they do interfere even with 15", but only if you like your Magnum centre caps.

Their "Pinocchio Nose" hubs are an unfortunate design that require running a spacer as they do not fit with the cap mounts. I have manual brakes, so I will say braking is "adequate", but could be better.

So I can't really recommend their kits if you run Magnums.

When I decide to re-do them I will likely upgrade to a power brake kit from Dr.Diff since people here seem generally pleased with the quality.

Way back in time I bolted on the spindles and disc brake hardware from a scrapped 1972 Dodge Charger to my 1966 Belvedere. It's still on that car, probably 40 years now.
Mike

I have the wilwood disc brake kit with 15 inch cragar wheels. Fit is great, no issues and I used the factory spindles. I also got a manual disc/drum master cylinder.

Hi all, considering switching to front discs on my '66 Coronet. Anyone have experience using stock spindles and what kit would work the best? Right now, I have 15" Magnums for wheels so don't think I'll have an interference problem. I'll have to switch to dual master cylinder as well.

I don't have experience with this setup but here's a couple more.

I used the scarebird set like posted above.
My experience has been just fine.
Reused my original hubs, the kit I bought had me source lincoln rotors at that time and does fit 14" steel wheels.
I was able to retain my oem style dual bowl master and i have no issues with front to rear line pressure.
The scarebird guys did their home work on part matching for a decent system.

Another option is '80's Fifth Ave. or Dippy. Just get spindles and caliper brackets. Everything else is still available at jobbers or Rockauto for cheap.

Auto Transport Service
Back