• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Plymouth Satellite GROUND UP

delfinomuro

Local time
10:23 AM
Reaction score
Well guys heres my project that im working on. 66 Plymouth Satellite 2 door hardtop. It originally had a 318 in it, according to the VIN # i ran from it. But i bought the car off a scarp yard, NO MOTOR OR TRANS, entire front suspension gone what so ever including K-Frame. about 60% of the interior was there. Just no bucket seats, half of middle console, no rear or front windshields, only driver and passenger glass was there and some corner glass, some weather strip, a whole bunch of chrome trim, 2 dash boards, all 4 panels but different colors, wire harness was there, an extra door, etc. basicly its just the shell. Saved this baby from being scrapped for $450, including towing to my uncles shop. Not bad. This photo (5).JPGphoto (4).JPGphoto (3).JPGphoto.JPGphoto (2).JPGis what ive done so far to it.

- - - Updated - - -

photo (6).JPGphoto (9).JPGphoto (10).JPGphoto (11).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

THANKS TO ONE OF FBBO MEMBERS I GOT MY HANDS ON ALMOST COMPLETE FRONT SUSPENSION FOR NOW JUZ TO MOVE IT AROUND, WILL BE REPLACING ALL STEERING LINKAGE PARTS WITH NEW ONES ONCE ALMOST DONEphoto (7).JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Could use some ideas and inputs, thanks

Fino

Glad you were able to save it. As far as ideas, what are YOUR plans for it?

Well MY IDEAS, im not really sure yet. Im still thinking about going with a 383 or stick with original 318. I want it to be original/street/performance/show car. You get me? i already decided on paint job, Silver poly, which is one of chryslers original colors for these cars. I AM SURE NOT CLONING, ENOUGH CLONES ALREADY, im sticking with 66 satellite, from the looks there isnt much of them.

Sounds like a good start.If you want to stay 318, you can get good performance out of them. Upgrade the suspension for a smooth ride. maybe put in some comfortable bucket seats or bench, how ever you want to do. I'm sure you've looked at the other members cars for other ideas also. I do like the silver poly color on those bodies.

Yea that's what I figured, sense the 318s are smaller and lighter. Yea I'm sticking with the original bucket seats just gotta find them used in decent condition or buy them new, which is around $600 :/ I was looking at the other colors they came in, I was deciding between black or silver poly, then I thought to myself there's A LOT of mopars that are black so I went ahead and decided to get the silver poly.

Good luck with your project. I'm in the late stages of a 66 Satellite build myself. If you decide to de-chrome it I am looking for some trim pieces and would be interested in buying yours. I also have a set of 66 bucket seats but they are in Idaho so logistics could make it prohibitive to do anything with them. PM me if you think we might work something out.

Fino....what happened to all that grease on the k member :)

In your pictures, it looks like you have some seat frames already in the car....what are those? They look like the proper frames as far as I can see. If so, you are already half way there. Unless you get lucky, anything thay you buy will need foam and recovering anyway, so why not fix up the ones you already have?

Good luck on the project. I personally would go with a big block but if you want performance on a 318 you can throw a procharger on it and get 600-700 hp.
Just a thought.

Well I plan on keeping it with chrome but I'm not sure if I have extra cuz I sure did have A LOT. I'll let you know though
thanks
Fino

Good luck with your project. I'm in the late stages of a 66 Satellite build myself. If you decide to de-chrome it I am looking for some trim pieces and would be interested in buying yours. I also have a set of 66 bucket seats but they are in Idaho so logistics could make it prohibitive to do anything with them. PM me if you think we might work something out.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha Sup Dave,
I pressure washed it all off, too sticky lol :)

Yea I was planning of going that route, and yes they are the originals just need foam and covers. But the covers Is what is expensive, about $300-$400, unless somebody tells me of a spot where they're cheaper. I've found the foam for $100 the bucket but I havnt seen that deal in a while. So yea I am gna use these buckets I have.

Fino....what happened to all that grease on the k member :)

In your pictures, it looks like you have some seat frames already in the car....what are those? They look like the proper frames as far as I can see. If so, you are already half way there. Unless you get lucky, anything thay you buy will need foam and recovering anyway, so why not fix up the ones you already have?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks superfreak, yea I'm still not sure yet, still thinking about it. But man that's a lot of horse power off of a 318, pretty cool. I'll see what I end up with.

Good luck on the project. I personally would go with a big block but if you want performance on a 318 you can throw a procharger on it and get 600-700 hp.
Just a thought.

Good project you saved and a good price! I have a 318 in my Satty, its a good engine for gas mileage and with a 4-barrel and headers, it still has a good sound to it, there's all kinds of things you can do to up the HP! Hard to beat a BB but, you can always have some good fun with a SB and gradually build yourself a good BB while doing it. Good luck with your 66, There a great looking car...

Thanks Ron 73
Still not sure yet, but if i do slap the 318 in it, ive heard you can get the heads off of a 383 and put them on a 318 block and increase HP. IDK i just heard ill have to research to confrim that. Yea i do love how they look especially the chrome trim that goes all on top of the side of the car.

Good project you saved and a good price! I have a 318 in my Satty, its a good engine for gas mileage and with a 4-barrel and headers, it still has a good sound to it, there's all kinds of things you can do to up the HP! Hard to beat a BB but, you can always have some good fun with a SB and gradually build yourself a good BB while doing it. Good luck with your 66, There a great looking car...

I think silver poly with red guts would be great combo...just my .02

Thanks Ron 73
Still not sure yet, but if i do slap the 318 in it, ive heard you can get the heads off of a 383 and put them on a 318 block and increase HP. IDK i just heard ill have to research to confrim that. Yea i do love how they look especially the chrome trim that goes all on top of the side of the car.

Im no engine builder but thats a new one to me, i couldn't tell you if you can do it or not myself.. Looking forward to seeing this done! good luck to ya...

I've never heard of BB heads on a SB either. Maybe 360 heads and have the deck shaved.

Yea i know that's what I said lol never heard but it won't hurt to try. Thanks

Im no engine builder but thats a new one to me, i couldn't tell you if you can do it or not myself.. Looking forward to seeing this done! good luck to ya...

- - - Updated - - -

:toothy9::toothy9::toothy9::toothy9::toothy9:Me neither but ima try and see what happens its gna b fun

I've never heard of BB heads on a SB either. Maybe 360 heads and have the deck shaved.

Auto Transport Service
Back