• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere project stalled

old-school

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
Thinking about selling my stalled project. 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II Hard Top. We have so much going on I do not have much time to get back to working on it. This is not an easy thought but don't want to be one of those people that hold on to something just because i MIGHT get back to it. It is close to be running but still has a bit to get back on the road. I need to hear what others suggest on this issue. I can give more details if needed. Just at a point that I need to make a decision and go with that.

Any words of wisdom will be a great help on this troubling issue.

Thanks in advance. Clint Bazemore.

IMAG0520.jpg

20211126_164948.jpg

20210213_140052.jpg

Is there any reason it can't sit there a while?
If you get it running you'll find you suddenly have a bunch of motivation.
It's magic.

As a sufferer of flat surface-itis if you remove all of the **** off the car it will motivate you to finish what you started. I suffer from stacking **** on cars too, clear off the car then step back and look at the car. Or have a wrenching day with a couple Mopar dudes. Get some beer and pizza and get to work.

what does it need to get it running? i am in Kernersville and have more projects than i need at the moment . have a few buddies in your area and i'm not too far . maybe we can help give a little motivation or a few words of advice ..Looks like you have a good start to a nice ride there .

It is too easy to let it set and end up stacking stuff on it. I did spend last Sunday cleaning off the hood and was able to see the engine. put it on jack stands. Rolled under the car to get an idea of what needs to be done. Have to finish the exhaust, work on the trans lines, get the shifter cable away from the headers. Then the interior. A lot of little things but take time that I do not have a lot of. I may contact my Kernersville neighbor for and get a fresh set of eyes on it. I may just need a different direction for the car. Sometimes just talking about it helps the mind get back at it.

IF, you don't need the space and it's not really costing you money other than the parts required to get it on the road then just hang on to it. Sometimes these things go in cycles, you just need to get a game plan to finish it. The old saying holds true here.. "how do you eat an Elephant"? Start off with small victories, sometimes these are the things to get some motivation to tackle some of the more PIA stuff that needs doing to get it over the hump. I make a point to at least go out in the garage and work on the car for 5 minutes or five hours every day...if I have time for a couple of beers then I can drink them out in the garage doing something on the car. The other option is to sell it and live with the sellers remorse for the rest of days... Don't know your financial situation or living conditions but you have an attachment to the car and looks like you've put in some blood, sweat & beers to just let'er get away. Good luck with which ever decision you go with :thumbsup:

As a wise man once said: "Don't get it right, just get it running!"

My suggestion is to just get her running and have some fun with the car and decide what direction you want to go from there.

Up until recently, my car has been a rolling project (buy tools and parts -> do stuff -> drive car). That has really galvanized my commitment to this project and all the work involved. Back in January, I got a severe case of the might-as-wells when I removed the seats and carpet from the car. Now, six months later, my interior floors are solid, but my car has no trunk floor and half of the rear fenders are cut away. I have all the parts I need, but there is only so much I can accomplish in a weekend and I'm really missing the joy of driving my car. That's the hook...

The real question will be "how do you feel when you drive that car?" If you get it running and just love driving it, that will motivate you to keep pushing the project forward at whatever pace time and money will allow. If it doesn't, then maybe it's not for you.

If your thinking I'll replace in the future, you probably won't. Looks like paint is the biggest thing to complete it. To start from scratch at a later date or can you put up the bucks needed to buy a done car. Your close now, you don't say how old you are.

I will be 60 next month. Not too old except I never thought I would make it this long. Lived a very active and stupid younger life. If it had wheels I wrecked it. Now I am paying for it every day. Lots of stories and scars and regret non of it. So after a few hours of wrenching it is hard to move. But I still would like to get the car on the road.

When I was faced with "a thousand little things" putting my engine bay back together after pulling everything out and painting it...

I assigned either "one task" or one set block of time 1, 2, 3 hours, etc sometimes as little as 45 minutes.

I'd do this once or twice a week night or a weekend day.

Work 'til that one task is done, or the times is up.

That absolutely worked. Sometimes that task was just to clean something, or clear away obstacles.

...and sometimes it created a "wow, just 20 more minutes and I can______". situation.

I also turned out to be very prolific with my progress pics for this site during that period as well.

Get it running even if you have to pay someone. Then you can make your decision. No one wants to buy something not running because they figure something might be wrong with it and you'll be much more motivated with a living car instead of a lifeless lump of parts.

Thank you for taking the time to pull me back up. Spent some time this weekend working under the hood. Was able to get the AC compressor mounted. Didn't know if it was going to fit with the tunnel ram setup. Made some notes and planned my next step. Thanks again. Hope to drive it in the neighborhood this year. Baby steps.

I block time to work on my cars if you take even a small amount of time every day or every other day or even 3 times a week its amazing what happens in a few months and then you fired up again cause your moving forward

Yup: It's pretty easy to stall out when you look at all the time you've spent and what's still ahead of you sometimes. I too believe in doing something on a schedule even if you don't feel like it. That usually straightens your mind out a bit.

Auto Transport Service
Back