• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 coronet R/T arrives in NJ

What was "not as advertised" about it?

Us folks around here like to know what to expect from any volume dealers of classic cars, just in case we see one we can't live without.

I keep planning to hit Carlisle for any of their events but have yet to make it.

for people in the Northeast this is a MUST ATTEND - it is like going to Mopar heaven! I have gone the past 6 years with my late model Charger and this year will go with the Durango...hopefully next year (?) I can take the Road Runner.

What was "not as advertised" about it?

Us folks around here like to know what to expect from any volume dealers of classic cars, just in case we see one we can't live without.

I spoke with him (Bryan Folz, the owner of Vintage Motorcars in Wisconsin) and asked if it had any rust anywhere on the vehicle. He said, "there are no signs of rust anywhere." When it arrived and was coming off the trailer, I immediately spotted, from 10 feet away, 2 large bubbles at the bottom of the passenger door. There is no way that was simply missed.

The other thing was he said it drove wonderfully. The steering is a mess. It grinds when you turn the wheel and had about 6" of play in the wheel.

Of course, in a perfect world, I would have gotten it inspected before buying, but I missed out on a few cars in the past few months because of the delays in getting a car inspected by an independent party. I'm a mechanic, not a body guy, so my goal was to get a car with zero rust, and that didn't happen, which irks me. I still love the car, though, so I'm making the best of it.

Thanks.

To some people, esp dealers "no rust" means the bondo has already been put over top of it.

Hopefully that's the only place there is.

I spoke with him (Bryan Folz, the owner of Vintage Motorcars in Wisconsin) and asked if it had any rust anywhere on the vehicle. He said, "there are no signs of rust anywhere." When it arrived and was coming off the trailer, I immediately spotted, from 10 feet away, 2 large bubbles at the bottom of the passenger door. There is no way that was simply missed.

The other thing was he said it drove wonderfully. The steering is a mess. It grinds when you turn the wheel and had about 6" of play in the wheel.

Of course, in a perfect world, I would have gotten it inspected before buying, but I missed out on a few cars in the past few months because of the delays in getting a car inspected by an independent party. I'm a mechanic, not a body guy, so my goal was to get a car with zero rust, and that didn't happen, which irks me. I still love the car, though, so I'm making the best of it.

Man, I am sorry to hear about your issue with the purchase, but am glad you are happy overall with the car. As a fellow 67 R/T owner I know you are going to love it!

I can not speak to Bryan/Vintage Motorcars as I don't have any direct experience with them, but I can provide at least a little back story on this car. I am pretty sure this was a flip, or possibly a consignment but am leaning more towards a flip.

It was listed on craigslist for a while. The photos at that time made it look rough for what he was asking. Then it was listed on ebay, I am pretty sure by the same person who listed it on craigslist. It was washed and "a little cleaner" on ebay. If I remember it was listed on ebay twice. You could tell from the ebay pics that it needed some work. I tried to find the original link, but if I remember it did not sell and the listing expired. Then it popped up a few weeks later from this Vintage Motorcars.

I was watching this one as I have a 67 R/T and like to keep up with what they are going for. I don't mean to discourage in any way. I am glad you have a positive attitude and are happy with your car and know you will continue to make it better. Heck, I know there were a few things I found wrong with my car that I didn't even see when I bought mine. I just want to help out with anyone else on here that is looking to purchase sight unseen. Just be careful. I don't know for 100% certain this was a flip, and I have not dealt with Vintage Motorcars, but from what I saw I would say anyone looking at them be careful and do your due diligence.

PS. I won't tell your wife about the thousands in squirreled away parts, if you don't tell mine!:lol: And I am sure we are not the only ones!

It was definitely a flip. I mean, that's what dealers do, right? :)
He bought it from an older man in Florida. I found the previous owner's name on an insurance card. Anyway, I wouldn't call it rough. It is a #3 driver. Could be better, could be worse. I can at least say it is better than a white non-R/T with a 440 a dealer in NJ wants $5k more for.

It was definitely a flip. I mean, that's what dealers do, right? :)
He bought it from an older man in Florida. I found the previous owner's name on an insurance card. Anyway, I wouldn't call it rough. It is a #3 driver. Could be better, could be worse. I can at least say it is better than a white non-R/T with a 440 a dealer in NJ wants $5k more for.

At least you were able to find that out. Have you spoken with the previous owner? He might be able to shed more light on the car than the dealer.

As for the flip, I just wish the dealer would have been more up front with you and wanted to let others on here be aware of him as he sounds somewhat shady. I am glad it is not rough. When it was first listed on craigslist it looked like the previous owner hadn't even washed it, which made it look rough. It was obviously detailed before the dealer listed it. It always makes me leery when you know that someone bought a car just to turn around and sell it, as some of them don't know (or care to know) anything about the car, how it was maintained, what was done to it, if it's full of bondo, etc. They just want to turn it make their money and run. Especially if they say "there's no rust anywhere" and it shows up with bubbles. Just not honest salesmanship in my opinion and should be called out.

It is a real R/T so that is a major score! Mine doesn't have the original engine either. The original owner blew it drag racing and put in a 66 383. But that doesn't bother me. Love my R/T and I know you will too. And if you got it at what you feel is a good price then that makes it all the better! I know you mentioned that you were looking for some parts, let me know if there is anything in particular and I will help if I can as I always have my eyes out.

Last edited:
I googled the previous owner and ... well, let's just say I found out enough that I'd rather not speak with him.

I emailed the seller after it arrived and he simply said he did not personally inspect it and will have a word with his guys. Yeah, OK.

Right now, I'm wasting a tremendous amount of time trying to figure out the electrical gremlins such as the nonfunctioning front driver's turn signal and the fact that NO gauges are working.

Welcome, that's a sweet ride.
I've bought many cars and none of them were perfect. The more I inspected them after I bought them, the more tiny flaws I found. Nice car man!

Welcome aboard, I love all the 67's. Start a project thread and keep us posted on your progress.

Right now, I'm wasting a tremendous amount of time trying to figure out the electrical gremlins such as the nonfunctioning front driver's turn signal and the fact that NO gauges are working.

Welcome!
Enjoy the process of sorting out your car. I've spent more time sorting/improving mine than I have driving it...and I drive it alot!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back