• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 coronet wagon temp sender

cherokeechief79

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
mine hasnt worked since we got the car.it seemed to intermittently work but now ive got nothing.
i pulled the wire from the sending unit in the intake and with a test light it was pulsing.
i assumed it was just the sender so i pulled one from my 67 barracuda and still got nothing.
i tested the wire again and this time i got no power at all to the wire.
i traced the wire back to the bulkhead and the wire is good.i tested the terminal coming out of the bulkhead and got nothing there at all.
any ideas?
the fuel gage needs a sender but the wire to it still pulses do i think the limiter in the dash is still working.
the only thing i did was mount the fusebox in the proper location because it was just hanging.
maybe i disturbed something then?

mine hasnt worked since we got the car.it seemed to intermittently work but now ive got nothing.
i pulled the wire from the sending unit in the intake and with a test light it was pulsing.
i assumed it was just the sender so i pulled one from my 67 barracuda and still got nothing.
i tested the wire again and this time i got no power at all to the wire.
i traced the wire back to the bulkhead and the wire is good.i tested the terminal coming out of the bulkhead and got nothing there at all.
any ideas?
the fuel gage needs a sender but the wire to it still pulses do i think the limiter in the dash is still working.
the only thing i did was mount the fusebox in the proper location because it was just hanging.
maybe i disturbed something then?
Have you tried a new behind the dash voltage regulator?

but the fuel sender wire is pulsing as it should.i thought they were tied together.
if one worked the other should too.

I just use a good aftermarket temp gauge. Unless you send out the gauge cluster to be restored, I really don't trust 50+ yo factory temp gauges.

i bought an old school triple gage to be sure.
i am curios though about the original wiring.
i have no pulse at the terminal on the bulkhead connector at all now.
i did before and im sure i disturbed something while messing with the fusebox.
at the bulkhead when it comes into the car does it go directly to the gage cluster or is there another junction or connector?

(traced the wire back to the bulkhead and the wire is good.i tested the terminal coming out of the bulkhead and got nothing there at all )

If you never have cleaned that out yet you should. Can of electric contact cleaner, fine brass bristle small brush and some dielectric grease.

i did do all of that...i did have power to the temp sender then i was fooling around mounting the fusebox which was hanging and after that it lost power,
i was just wondering if it goes right from the bulkhead to the back of the cluster or if theres another place a can check for a bad connection.

i did do all of that...i did have power to the temp sender then i was fooling around mounting the fusebox which was hanging and after that it lost power,
i was just wondering if it goes right from the bulkhead to the back of the cluster or if theres another place a can check for a bad connection.

There is a plug on the back of the instrument cluster that could have a loose or pushed pin. There is also a printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster that connects the gauges to the plug. A loose connection in either of those could cause intermittent power or high resistance, which would cause the gauge to read low.

Last edited:
do you mean that round plug that goes onto the pins?
so its direct from there to the firewall?

do you mean that round plug that goes onto the pins?
so its direct from there to the firewall?

I don’t have a 67 service manual, but the 69 service manual shows an 18 gauge violet wire from the connector on the backside of the instrument cluster to position R on the bulkhead connector. The wiring on these cars didn’t change a lot so I assume that it is the same for a 67. Do you have a service manual or wiring schematic for your car?

Auto Transport Service
Back