• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX & Coronet R/T Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner Differences

Sam69sat

Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Been searching for the correct dual snorkel air cleaner and noticed a difference in the shapes of air cleaners that are supposed to be 67 GTX/ Coronet R/T dual snorkels. They both have 13 notches but indentation on the back portion of the air cleaner (top in the photos) appears to have 2 different styles. Top photo has more of a curved indentation and the other indentation is more flat. Anyone know why this is and which is correct?

67_440ds_03.jpg
67_440ds_07.jpg

I have looked at many pictures of those air cleaners, and I have noticed the ones with vent tubes look like the top photo, and the ones that don't look like the bottom photo. If your car does not have a clean air package, I would think the bottom one is right.

Mine (67 GTX) seems to fit that pattern as it has no hose connection and matches the Commando one above

P1010285.jpeg
P1010287.jpeg

Interesting. Not sure if my R/T had the clean air package or not since it didn't come with an engine. Would that be noted on the fender tag? Unfortunately no build sheets with the car.

Interesting. Not sure if my R/T had the clean air package or not since it didn't come with an engine. Would that be noted on the fender tag? Unfortunately no build sheets with the car.
It would be on the IBM punch card.

Mine originally was a non CAP car....currently has a CAP air cleaner on it now which matches the left 440 mag the OP posted

Been searching for the correct dual snorkel air cleaner and noticed a difference in the shapes of air cleaners that are supposed to be 67 GTX/ Coronet R/T dual snorkels. They both have 13 notches but indentation on the back portion of the air cleaner (top in the photos) appears to have 2 different styles. Top photo has more of a curved indentation and the other indentation is more flat. Anyone know why this is and which is correct?

View attachment 1687644View attachment 1687645
this might help Nick's Garage - Air Cleaner Identification

Got measurements and a photo of the baseplate on the air cleaner i was looking at. Top of the air cleaner is 4 inches tall and the baseplate looks like the taller version on nicksgarage air cleaner identification page. Looks to be for a 68 c body. Anyone know if it would work in a 67 Coronet R/T? I'll probably keep looking for the correct air cleaner but still be interesting to know if it would fit and still be able to close the hood since it's 5/8" taller.

Looks like this one from forcbodiesonly. 68 c body
306611-jpg.jpg

The 67 440 mag had a 750 afb with the big hole

The 67 was the 13 notch lid.

so mine is a dual snork for a 68? ....... hell yeah

I also have my original from the GTX........ it's the huge unsilenced one; I haven't seen it in 25 years, I let my buddy run it on his mud trucks back in the day and he still does. He takes good care of it; says it's the perfect mud truck set up.

Thanks I was thinking of my Dad's car but we had a holley on it so someone put it on there. He has the original afb but I haven't checked it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back