• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Build Thread

Evoking

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
I got a 68 Charger a couple of months ago. It started life as a 318 and now has a 360. I am gradually customizing/improving it while generally staying relatively period correct. I figured I would create a build thread to track all the progress.

Below is how it came to me.

20170203_112103.jpg 20170203_112116.jpg 20170203_112133.jpg 20170203_112151.jpg

Here are the 15x8 and 15x10 Magnum 500's on 255/60/15 and 295/50/15 Coopers!

Front Quarter Upper.jpg Profile.jpg Rear Angle.jpg Rear Quarter 2.jpg Rear Quarter 3.jpg Rear Quarter Lower.jpg Rear Quarter.jpg

The Wilwood's would not fit with the stock Magnum 500 wheel center cap. Rather than use a spacer I've decided to just use the Wilwood hub as the centerpiece and put a Mopar center sticker. It is lower profile. Excuse the dirty wheels!

Stock Magnums

image3.JPG image4.JPG

With Wilwood hub
image1.JPG image2.JPG

A few goodies arrived this week:
1) Bilstein shocks
2) Front 12" Wilwood brakes, rears are on way as well. Also did proportioning valve and lines.
3) Gas tank floater sender unit
4) New seatbelts
5) Body bumper kit for any missing rubber
6) Grant steering wheel

Will post pics of the new brakes and seat belts.

Just ordered front end rebuild kit and rear brakes.

After all of these are installed I will then order a big block crate engine - likely Blueprint 493 along with a transmission, converter and posi rear end!

Beautiful Charger!!!

Great looking car. Looks almost like you don't need to do anything to it.

To just drive it, I didn't need to do much. But as stated above, when has that stopped us from "improving" or customizing haha.

The 12" Wilwood's would not in fact fit the 15" Wheels Vintique Magnum 500 (although they supposedly fit 15" wheels).

Also, since the previous owner had already done what looks like a PST front disc brake conversion I needed to order the front brakes from Magnum force since Wilwood does not make a set for disc spindle only drum. Magnum force uses Wilwood parts but mfg's their own brackets which will fit on disc spindles of varying vintages. Will post when they are mounted.

The 12" Wilwood's would not in fact fit the 15" Wheels Vintique Magnum 500 (although they supposedly fit 15" wheels).

Also, since the previous owner had already done what looks like a PST front disc brake conversion I needed to order the front brakes from Magnum force since Wilwood does not make a set for disc spindle only drum. Magnum force uses Wilwood parts but mfg's their own brackets which will fit on disc spindles of varying vintages. Will post when they are mounted.

Man I tried to tell you the brakes don't clear even tho they claim to

You told me after the Wilwood's were already here. The real reason we ordered new ones is the spindle issue. We decided to also move down to 11" since it looked too close to risk doing all the work on a 12 for it not to fit!

You told me after the Wilwood's were already here. The real reason we ordered new ones is the spindle issue. We decided to also move down to 11" since it looked too close to risk doing all the work on a 12 for it not to fit!

See my issue was with just the caliper and to be entirely honest here I could have probably ground on it but the move to 17 inch wheels was on the horizon. I like the cars to appear stock but they don't have to be exactly stock you know?

Evoking.....

I love it to see a new charger owner like a kid in a candy parts store buying parts!

Car looks sweet and the rims will be a fine touch! I need to give you a ring sometime and make it down your way....I have just been crazy busy between work, car, and the boss, lol....

Justin

See my issue was with just the caliper and to be entirely honest here I could have probably ground on it but the move to 17 inch wheels was on the horizon. I like the cars to appear stock but they don't have to be exactly stock you know?

I hear you. That is why I went with 15" Magnums. One inch taller and several inches wider kept a stock look but more beefy and the right amount of contact patch for 500+hp

Auto Transport Service
Back