• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Rebuild Suggestions from a newbie in Salt Lake City UT?

take luck

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
I have an unrestored 68 GTX with 1 engine rebuild from the previous owner at 100,000 miles and now it has 180,000. I'm the third owner and it's a California car. I had it dyno tuned and the horsepower came in around 300 which seemed a little disappointing... So I was thinking about a rebuild.

Is there anyone in this mighty mighty board who can suggest someone around Salt Lake City? And should I feel a little disappointed w/ the 300 horsepower??? It runs great. I use ethanol free fuel too but it does smoke a little bit and the exhaust fumes really smell! This is my third 440 car and I don't remember the exhaust fumes ever smelling so pungent... Maybe I'm just overthinking this too much... I'm lucky to have it! Thanks!
IMG_1293.jpg

Rich condition.....Tuning related....

Beautiful GTX btw, post some more pics!

I cannot help you on a builder in your area...

Welcome to the forum also!

Welcome to FBBO from a fellow 68 GTX owner. Wish I could help you with s builder in Salt Lake City but I’m in SoCal. Looks like a very sweet ride. Don’t know how she managed to get down to 300 hp when that 440 was 375 stock?? Somethings wrong. Mine is a 440 stroked to 494 and 555 hp. I also have that pungent smell of fuel in the exhaust. Haven’t been able figure out the problem yet. I use the best gas I can find here which is 91 - leaned out the air fuel mixture. I also put some startron in the tank to see if that helps stabilize the fuel as it sits for long periods.

Love to see some more pics of the car and get more details on the build.

If that dyno was a chassis dyno that's a pretty good number. Jim LaRoy in Idaho is an excellent choice for a engine build. I can vouch for him first hand. If your car has a lumpy cam that tends to lead to stinky exhaust. Might also need valve guides.

When you say it was dyno tuned, was it chassis dyno? 300 at the wheel on a 375 hp gross motor is not bad. Assuming it was a stock rebuild. As for the fuel smell and smoke if getting the carb tuned doesn't clear it up it could be because it still has the original valve seats. If they were not converted during the last rebuild they could be worn down causing seepage of unburnt fuel to pass through. Even worn Valve guides will not allow the valve to fully close causing seepage and smoking. I would focus on the tune and then top end before throwing in on a full rebuild.

Rich condition.....Tuning related....

Beautiful GTX btw, post some more pics!

I cannot help you on a builder in your area...

Welcome to the forum also!
I thought it was tuning too and I spent a lot getting it tuned / dyno tuned... It helped some but not a lot.

Thanks... I'll post more pictures one day.

When you say it was dyno tuned, was it chassis dyno? 300 at the wheel on a 375 hp gross motor is not bad. Assuming it was a stock rebuild. As for the fuel smell and smoke if getting the carb tuned doesn't clear it up it could be because it still has the original valve seats. If they were not converted during the last rebuild they could be worn down causing seepage of unburnt fuel to pass through. Even worn Valve guides will not allow the valve to fully close causing seepage and smoking. I would focus on the tune and then top end before throwing in on a full rebuild.
It was a chassis dyno and it was 275 (I had to find the paperwork). Well maybe it is the valves and then another tune. It's starting to get cold out here so not much driving time left.

Valves... I'll have to check that out. It scored a 275 on the Dyno and it was a chassis dyno. I guess I expected better. And it was a total stock rebuild. The car is very stock except for some speakers that were put in the back and in the doors along with a CD player in the glove box. I've turned it on because I like to hear that 440. Thanks

Welcome to FBBO from a fellow 68 GTX owner. Wish I could help you with s builder in Salt Lake City but I’m in SoCal. Looks like a very sweet ride. Don’t know how she managed to get down to 300 hp when that 440 was 375 stock?? Somethings wrong. Mine is a 440 stroked to 494 and 555 hp. I also have that pungent smell of fuel in the exhaust. Haven’t been able figure out the problem yet. I use the best gas I can find here which is 91 - leaned out the air fuel mixture. I also put some startron in the tank to see if that helps stabilize the fuel as it sits for long periods.

Love to see some more pics of the car and get more details on the build.
It was a stock rebuild. I don't have very much information on it except that a race shop in LA did it years ago. It was a chassis dyno which might explain the low number.
As for the smell, I've had a some replies that believe it could be the valves. At least I know I'm not alone on the smell. It's not a huge deal just doesn't seem right.

Stock carb?
Carb is not stock, headers have been added too along with a manifold. Although I have all the stock parts in a box. When I had it dyno tuned it was because I live in the mountains and the car seemed to be running a little rich... Good Question

Yup elevation makes a difference,2-3 sizes smaller jets I think(?) But that doesn't help the idle circuit.

Strasburg racing in Lindon,Cleggs auto in Orem,C&T machine in Orem.Nice car by the way!

Auto Transport Service
Back