• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 charger floor shifter location?

Mike meeks

Local time
2:23 AM
Reaction score
Good morning, I'm working on a 69 charger that was butchered by previous so-called restorer. It was previously a column shift car converted to a floor shift. When you put the shifter in park your knuckles hit the dashboard. Can anybody tell me an approximate distance from the dashboard to the shifter when it's in park? Because the geometry down at the transmission is off now. If anybody has photos of a car without the carpet that would be great too. Thank you very much. Thanks, Mike

Is it a factory shifter? Unless they butchered the floor, there is a round raised area where the factory seal goes for the rod from the shifter to the transmission. Very easy to line the shifter up using that for refrence.

Yes, it is a factory shifter but I don't think your knuckles are supposed to hit the dashboard the ashtray when you put it in park

Yes, it is a factory shifter but I don't think your knuckles are supposed to hit the dashboard the ashtray when you put it in park
No it shouldn't. Pull the console auto shift plate off, take a picture and show us the linkage as to where the torque shaft goes through the floor.

Last edited:
Oh the crimes that were committed here

PXL_20240929_230156145.jpg

PXL_20240929_230216314.jpg

PXL_20240929_230150141.jpg

Just to show you what a butcher this guy was. He put a 71 to 74 b. Body rear end in and hardware store bolts in the k-frame

PXL_20231108_172731907.jpg

PXL_20231108_172805756.jpg

PXL_20231108_191931165.jpg

Going off memory that looks like an A-body console shifter mount... which I believe has a shorter shift rod to the torque shaft... Although that mount has 4 holes for the shifter mechanism which is a later type that uses a chrome plate. Probably a hodge podge of parts.

Last edited:
I have a 1968 GTX so I suppose the shifter position/handle will be the same or similar. My shift handle has the bend fairly low like the pic shows posted by PRHeads.
My car measures 2 inches from the closest edge of the shifter knob to the ashtray.

I have a 69 dart with a floor shift. The shifter looks the same as what's in this '69 charger. Does anybody have a picture of what a '69 charger floor shift looks like?

I have a 69 dart with a floor shift. The shifter looks the same as what's in this '69 charger. Does anybody have a picture of what a '69 charger floor shift looks like?
PRHeads posted the correct picture of the shifter handle. Is yours bent like the one he posted? That would make a big difference if indeed yours is bent forward..

Yes, the shifter handle is bent. I'll get a picture of it from the side, but I just wonder if the whole mechanism between an a body and bbody is different

Auto Transport Service
Back