• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger headliner/sail panels question

INTMD8

Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am getting close to putting glass in but wanted to make the headliner as tight as possible beforehand.

From the front to the back/sail panel area I have it near perfect.

As I understand it, the top of the sail panel (along rear window) hooks onto teeth and the bottom just gets glued to the top panel?

With the amount of force I need to stretch it to get the wrinkles out, just gluing it down to the package tray area is not going to hold it/enough tension.

Any tips on getting that area of the headliner held tight?

Thanks!

Behind the headliner on the sail panel are a cardboard panel on each side attached with two clips. They follow the curve and the headliner is glued to them. On the speaker tray the headliner laps over about an inch or two and is glued.....

In chargers the board goes behind the headliner.........

I was more figuring out how to tension it. Well not sure if this is right but put glue on sail panel cardboard pieces and top of rear deck then pushed a piece of steel flat stock into the corner to pull it tight, held in place with a clamp and some magnets.

Once dried I went over it with a heat gun. Not perfect but best I could do with the headliner already being trimmed on the edges.

PPHnnR.jpg

3JY1ws.jpg

1C75nn.jpg

The sail panel area on charger is a royal PITA when installing the headliner....

Different story..but when did the factory start to use sail panels?

I somewhere came across that they started with 69 B body models. Maybe my mind serves me wrong right now.

I was more figuring out how to tension it. Well not sure if this is right but put glue on sail panel cardboard pieces and top of rear deck then pushed a piece of steel flat stock into the corner to pull it tight, held in place with a clamp and some magnets.

Once dried I went over it with a heat gun. Not perfect but best I could do with the headliner already being trimmed on the edges.

View attachment 694958
View attachment 694959
View attachment 694960

Did you put glue on sail panel board and glue headliner on it or just on top at teeth and bottom on package tray?

Auto Transport Service
Back