• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70-72 calipers on 68 Bbody

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
I am trying to run 70-72 b body two pin Kelsey hayes calipers on my 68 roadrunner. The calipers need to be mounted on the rear of spindle to clear the sway bar but then the hoses point towards the front and have no chance to meet up with the hard lines at the frame. I see in one post someone said to run 69-70 Camaro front hoses which use the block style connectors at the caliper which would let me send the lines towards the rear and connect with the hard lines. Anyone do this or have any other suggestions to make the setup work?

You shoud be able to swap the front spindles from L to R & vice versa, and this would move the
calipers to the backside of the spindle rotor assembly. You can/could use the longer camaro
flexible brake hose if you need more length to get to the factory position of the hard line.

You shoud be able to swap the front spindles from L to R & vice versa, and this would move the
calipers to the backside of the spindle rotor assembly. You can/could use the longer camaro
flexible brake hose if you need more length to get to the factory position of the hard line.

Yup I did swap the spindles so the calipers are on the rear now.....Just need to use something other than the stock style hose that is straight out of the caliper and sends the hose in the opposite direction I need to. I have the newer slide type calipers on my Charger and those use the block style end on the hose that has the brass block on the end sending the hose sideways out of the caliper. Need to find something like that for these that'll adapt these calipers to that style hose and give me the hose directing towards the back of the car and to the stock hard lines. Dr. Diff has a set of braided hoses which I wanted to stay away from but I would use if I have to, but he says they only work for 73-up slider style calipers. I wanted to make sure the camaro style lines with the banjo bolt style end on the line would thread into my calipers leak free. If so, that is probably my best bet.

The correct way is to move the mounting location of the hard line... The reason for that is the brake hose should cross the steering axis centerline... That cancels the length variation due to steering... When the caliper & the frame mount are on the same side the hose is constantly being either doubled over or stretched out... Adding a longer hose means it doesn't get stretched but now you have a big loop... Lotta people do it that way & it usually works but there is more potential problems doing it that way..

The correct way is to move the mounting location of the hard line... The reason for that is the brake hose should cross the steering axis centerline... That cancels the length variation due to steering... When the caliper & the frame mount are on the same side the hose is constantly being either doubled over or stretched out... Adding a longer hose means it doesn't get stretched but now you have a big loop... Lotta people do it that way & it usually works but there is more potential problems doing it that way..
Yea there’s no way I’m moving the factory style line or area where they meet up. I drive this thing maybe 1500mi a year non aggressively. I totally get what you are saying, but as long as the hose isn’t too stretched out or kinked, I am comfortable with it. My charger has been fine for years that way with the slider calipers mounted on the rear of the spindle. I was more curious if the Camaro style banjo fitting would seal good and not leak on this style caliper. Or if others had a Mopar rubber hose that would work. Either or.

Are you aware of the 78-79 Charger/Mangnum/Cordoba calipers? They are also pin style but use a banjo bolt style hose connection...

More Information for RAYBESTOS FRC4097

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 8.37.50 PM.png

I've done this on my '64 Polara with '70-'72 brake setup. I also had to mount with calipers at the back to clear sway bar. I moved the brake line attaching brackets from behind the upper control arms to ahead of them on the frame rails. This is not a big job, because they are just tacked on with a couple of spot welds. Just drill the spot welds out, position the brackets forward on the frame, and mig weld through the drilled spot weld holes.

Last edited:
I've done this on my '64 Polara with '70-'72 brake setup. I also had to mount with calipers at the back to clear sway bar. I moved the brake line attaching brackets from behind the upper control arms to ahead of them on the frame rails. This is not a big job, because they are just tacked on with a couple of spot welds. Just drill the spot welds out, position the brackets forward on the frame, and mig weld through the drilled spot weld holes.
Totally get it but we’re talking about a car that is fresh out of paint with all new brake lines installed….zero chance I am cutting or welding or redoing the line at this point. It’s either rubber hose or back to drum brakes at this point haha!

Are you aware of the 78-79 Charger/Mangnum/Cordoba calipers? They are also pin style but use a banjo bolt style hose connection...

More Information for RAYBESTOS FRC4097

View attachment 1341351
I was not aware. I thought all the calipers after 73 were the slider type. I see a notch on that brass block end though that looks like it might seat on the caliper specifically. Wonder if it would fit on mine or leak? The Camaro one has a round little end that looks like it might fit better on there.

A2B2FCFF-0828-47E1-88EB-AA5B77D3F946.png

I used hoses for an '80 Gran Fury. Approx. length 14", banjo fitting. (Aspen spindle and slider calipers to the rear) worked perfect, no bind, no stretch. RockAuto

I used hoses for an '80 Gran Fury. Approx. length 14", banjo fitting. (Aspen spindle and slider calipers to the rear) worked perfect, no bind, no stretch. RockAuto
Yea the outlet on the slider caliper is on the bottom opposite the bleeder but the outlet on the pin type is on the top next to the bleeder. It'll be a little bit of tweaking, but they will fit. if I have to, I will flip them and put the outlet/bleeder on the bottom which will give me a ton more clearance and bleed them off the mount in my lap with my vacuum suction pump. Either way, we will make something work with this damn combo lol.

The issue your gonna have is the area that was spot faced for a screw in hose in probably to small to allow a copper sealing washer to seat properly... If you have access to a mill you could use a larger end mill to increase the ice of the spot faced area..

And it might be that the spot faced area is so deep even if a washer fits it might sit below the surface into the recess.... If thats the case you could grind/mill away the raised metal so the copper will sit proud of the surface...

The issue your gonna have is the area that was spot faced for a screw in hose in probably to small to allow a copper sealing washer to seat properly... If you have access to a mill you could use a larger end mill to increase the ice of the spot faced area..

And it might be that the spot faced area is so deep even if a washer fits it might sit below the surface into the recess.... If thats the case you could grind/mill away the raised metal so the copper will sit proud of the surface...
Yea I can check that. The caliper itself had an area for a copper sealing washer in it and used one on the screw in hose, so as long as its higher when compressed than the spot face I should be ok. I ordered the Camaro ones because the banjo joint is way smaller than the larger square brass block on the mopar hose. We will see when I get the hoses and go from there. If it really pisses me off, I will find a set of brackets for my extra set of slider calipers for my Charger and mount them on and say F these pin type models haha! Bought the package from a buddy with the spindles and all so trying to use the complete deal, but I will only go so far before I say this blows and take a different approach.

Looking at the picture on rock auto of the caliper, it looks like my washer should seal ok with almost no spot face on it and nothing in the way of the complete flat mounting face.

caliper.jpg
caliper2.jpg

Looking at the picture on rock auto of the caliper, it looks like my washer should seal ok with almost no spot face on it and nothing in the way of the complete flat mounting face.

View attachment 1341581View attachment 1341583
Hey what ended happening with this? I am in pretty much the same predicament. Running a ‘70 single piston caliper with the pins on a ‘69 Coronet. Got the calipers mounted on the back side of the rotors. Did the Camaro brake lines with the banjo fitting end up sealing well on the ‘70 Calipers? Please advise, I would love to be able to do the same thing if it worked for you.

Hey what ended happening with this? I am in pretty much the same predicament. Running a ‘70 single piston caliper with the pins on a ‘69 Coronet. Got the calipers mounted on the back side of the rotors. Did the Camaro brake lines with the banjo fitting end up sealing well on the ‘70 Calipers? Please advise, I would love to be able to do the same thing if it worked for you.

Yep they worked out well so far. Seem to have enough length to not bind and don't rub anything.

Yep they worked out well so far. Seem to have enough length to not bind and don't rub anything.
That’s great. I see you relocated the caliper to the back side of the wheel by switching spindles. I did the same, but I am running into clearance issues with the caliper making contact with the shock when the wheel is turned all the way in one direction or the other.Did you have any clearance issues between the caliper and shock?

Last edited:
I did not.......it's close but it is probably just the style of the shock. I usually don't turn full lock anyway as my car is manual steering and a 4 speed, so I usually calculate my direction so it doesn't involve cranking the wheel like crazy haha!

Auto Transport Service
Back