• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Charger build with AMD: ROCKERS

RXTREME

Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys! I got my first order of outer rockers and rockers side, Cowell support panel and the lower cow to start. I finished my body jig last week and painted it and I was wondering if I could just weld the inner and outer support rockers together and make it one big piece, I don’t see a reason I would need to wait till i got my other parts? The charger on the right is a different project. I’m attempting to build a 70 charger with mostly AMD parts. I have the main non reproducible parts that are painted orange!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wouldn't weld anything till you prefit it all. In case you have to move something a lil bit. I have a 68 charger I'm getting ready to do. Would you care to share pixs of your frame jig ?

Hey guys! I got my first order of outer rockers and rockers side, Cowell support panel and the lower cow to start. I finished my body jig last week and painted it and I was wondering if I could just weld the inner and outer support rockers together and make it one big piece, I don’t see a reason I would need to wait till i got my other parts? The charger on the right is a different project. I’m attempting to build a 70 charger with mostly AMD parts. I have the main non reproducible parts that are painted orange!

View attachment 1642076

View attachment 1642078

View attachment 1642079

View attachment 1642083

First off, before you try to fit the inner rockers to the outer rocker skins...... make sure you have the rocker braces (I believe there are 2 of them) and that they are installed inside the outer rocker, they are spot welded in, before you install the inner rocker to them. I HIGHLY
recommend that you clamp the lower rocker pinchweld to a very square table, or piece of rigid angle, or steel plate. Just so the rocker will not try to twist on you, while you are welding on that lower pinch area. Do the same on the pinch weld area at the top of both inner and outer rocker. Do NOT get in a hurry........ and it does not have to be fully welded up, just good and supportive. One thing about welding the rockers together,
is you have to be thinking about the two little notches on each side of the inner rocker, where the torsion bar crossmember tabs set into these indentations. It does not mean the the rocker front or rear edges are flush with each other. What I am saying is that once that inner rocker is welded, it could mean that the torsion bar crossmember may or may not be in the total correct alignment with trans mount. Just be advised, that's all. It never hurts to measure 2 or 3 times, just to make sure! You really should have all of your panels at your shop before proceeding on anything!

Also, I wanted to say that there are some holes and such that are different in size and location verses OEM vs AMD. So just take that into consideration.

IIRC, the rear framerail locating holes on the bottom underneath of OEM rails are around 15/16" I think. The AMD rear rail locating holes are in a different position. I do know that Jeff @ 521 restorations has two different bolt on jigs to his frame table depending on if using OEM or AMD rear framerails.

We have a very good framerail dimensions book here, that has all the best frame measures in it. I can't remember the name of the book right now, but could text you some closeups for a 70 Charger.

Keep in mind that there are many things to think about.

NOTE: Please understand that I am not here to insult you as a person or your intelligence as I do not know your experience level!

I am just trying to help you...... as I've been around for 62 years. Good luck!

First off, before you try to fit the inner rockers to the outer rocker skins...... make sure you have the rocker braces (I believe there are 2 of them) and that they are installed inside the outer rocker, they are spot welded in, before you install the inner rocker to them. I HIGHLY
recommend that you clamp the lower rocker pinchweld to a very square table, or piece of rigid angle, or steel plate. Just so the rocker will not try to twist on you, while you are welding on that lower pinch area. Do the same on the pinch weld area at the top of both inner and outer rocker. Do NOT get in a hurry........ and it does not have to be fully welded up, just good and supportive. One thing about welding the rockers together,
is you have to be thinking about the two little notches on each side of the inner rocker, where the torsion bar crossmember tabs set into these indentations. It does not mean the the rocker front or rear edges are flush with each other. What I am saying is that once that inner rocker is welded, it could mean that the torsion bar crossmember may or may not be in the total correct alignment with trans mount. Just be advised, that's all. It never hurts to measure 2 or 3 times, just to make sure! You really should have all of your panels at your shop before proceeding on anything!

Also, I wanted to say that there are some holes and such that are different in size and location verses OEM vs AMD. So just take that into consideration.

IIRC, the rear framerail locating holes on the bottom underneath of OEM rails are around 15/16" I think. The AMD rear rail locating holes are in a different position. I do know that Jeff @ 521 restorations has two different bolt on jigs to his frame table depending on if using OEM or AMD rear framerails.

We have a very good framerail dimensions book here, that has all the best frame measures in it. I can't remember the name of the book right now, but could text you some closeups for a 70 Charger.

Keep in mind that there are many things to think about.

NOTE: Please understand that I am not here to insult you as a person or your intelligence as I do not know your experience level!

I am just trying to help you...... as I've been around for 62 years. Good luck!
Do you know where i can find rocker panel braces? Or the name of them on AMD or OEM?

I wouldn't weld anything till you prefit it all. In case you have to move something a lil bit. I have a 68 charger I'm getting ready to do. Would you care to share pixs of your frame jig ?
Yes, i used Cam Racing’s from youtube

IMG_9236.png

IMG_9237.png

IMG_9238.png

IMG_9239.png

Auto Transport Service
Back