• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'70 Charger steering column issue

EBailey97

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
Is there anything special I'm supposed to do when installing?
I've got the column in and put together but I can't get it to lock. When I turn the wheel it rotates, and when I have the key in the off position instead of it locking when you turn it left, you just here it touching the cam and nothing else. What would be the issue here? I've tried everything else

This is going from memory…. I think your 70 column has a 5” diameter “saw wheel” (teeth not really sharp) and when you turn the key to “off”, a short metal arm moves upward and lodges itself between two of the “teeth”. That’s your “lock”. For some reason, that’s not happening. If you just remove the steering wheel you can see it and probably figure out what is wrong

This is going from memory…. I think your 70 column has a 5” diameter “saw wheel” (teeth not really sharp) and when you turn the key to “off”, a short metal arm moves upward and lodges itself between two of the “teeth”. That’s your “lock”. For some reason, that’s not happening. If you just remove the steering wheel you can see it and probably figure out what is wrong
Well, that's the other thing. I have the steering wheel off. We had an issue with the key lock cylinder and ignition switch. The blade and that prong were functioning before I put the steering wheel on. So I'm not sure if the column is even in the right spot or not in the manual gear box. Maybe why there's not enough connection somewhere with the blade?

Well, that's the other thing. I have the steering wheel off. We had an issue with the key lock cylinder and ignition switch. The blade and that prong were functioning before I put the steering wheel on. So I'm not sure if the column is even in the right spot or not in the manual gear box. Maybe why there's not enough connection somewhere with the blade?
Hard to understand you….but “maybe” if the center shaft is further up then it should be the locking arm misses behind it? With the steering wheel off you can just look. It’s right there

Auto Transport Service
Back