• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 ignition 6 wire color info

Stucat

Local time
9:00 AM
Reaction score
so my question is, On my 70 ignition switch there are 6 wires., 3 on each side of the switch on the back? One side has a Yellow, Blue and a Black , which is a thinner wire than all the rest. The other side has 3 wires, Black, Brown and Red. Was wondering if any one has info or where I might find out where each wire in connected too? Red 12 volt power? , Brown acc? Cranking? power key on? ect. One of the blacks ground? . thanks

Red- 12volts in

Large black- accessory

Blue- Ignition 1

Brown- Ignition 2 (ballast resistor by-pass)

Yellow- Start, starter relay

Small black wire, indicates a later replacement ignition switch, goes to ground while cranking, C-body brake warning light bulb check. Not used for any b-body.

Ignition switch instructions.jpg

Thanks for the info. Having issues with no spark. Just installed a new Holly Terminator setup in my car. The car had a push button starter setup . Holly said to change out the button and go back to a key. . Well we will c that works

Connect the blue and brown wires together for switched power in crank and run for EFI, assuming you are not running a coil with a ballast resistor with that set-up.

yes you are correct. iT had a Mother plug and play ECU and harness from 2009 wasn't programable. Having issues with the power to new setup. Cuts out when u push the starter button they installed. Also has a pianless wiring harness setup with a GM connector at the steering column.

Auto Transport Service
Back