• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost brake lights - but only one side.

Doug, I had the same thought at first because of the responses I was getting here.
The original issue was that I was having no brake lights or turn signals.

I did install an original turn signal switch (the one where I JB welded the 4 way to) but it turns out it's no good.

The electrical guy who found the issue started pulling bulbs till the brake lights and signals and 4 ways started working again - and that was with the Re-pop signal switch not even installed on the steering column - it was on the drivers side floor plugged in the main harness and grounded.

He tried to do the same with the original one but could not get it to do anything.

I will fix the front signal housing and put the repop switch on the column and try it.

Understood the turn signal was working at the rear, one brake light was not. The flashing side markers are a dead giveaway to a ground problem at a turn signal/park light housing. The front TS/park housings also depend on grounding through their mounting screws to the valance. I will run a separate ground wire from the housing to the core support to avoid damaging the freshly painted valance and ensure a good ground path for the housings. Have also run into socket to housing resistance requiring readdressing the socket crimp flange.

As I understand, the lack of ground on front parking caused the dimimn lights on sidemarkers.

The missed left brake light was about an uncomplete conection between male and female plugs down the column

Some update - I got it all back together.
Tried the method of putting a small sheet metal scre in the housing so the head of the screw touched both the bulb socket and the housing with little success.
It would work then it wouldn't.....turn the screw some more it goes back to working.

So I did what Nacho suggested - smash the socket lip itself with a screwdriver and a hammer against the housing on a couple of spots to get it back tight.

Well.....I got a little carried away...:BangHead:
Sept 28th (5).jpg
Sept 28th (6).jpg

Yup, popped it almost thru.

So while I'll be looking for another one or another set (Jimmy Boros has a restored set but mucho $$$) I ordered one of these as a fix.
1727550500624.png

The fun never ends.

Damn! How hard and where exactly did you smash it? Just hard enough to beat a bit the socket lip metal to get bent!

I made it with success on my parking lights! Can’t show pics of my owns thought

IMG_0265.jpeg

Last edited:
Ron Francis wiring has them for both single filament bulbs.
Part number RR-11
1727636861637.png

And the for the dual filament bulbs like I ordered.
Part number RR-33

Great! LOL a bit expensive thought… but a GREAT option.

Now… will be great it gets a wired ground for plastic light housings LOL

(Already checked the website… just chassis ground available LOL)

Auto Transport Service
Back