• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'71-'72 vs. '73-'74

Well my rallye has louvred tail lights. I like the black ones better than the grey of the 71. I don't envy the 71's but i do like the earlier 3 gens better than the latter ones. But i do like the opera windows.

I'm a fan of 71-72 plymouths and 73-74 Chargers. I looked for a while for a 73/74 Charger but could not find one that was still solid, and with the lack of aftermarket sheetmetal, I went another route. I am partial to 71-72 plymouths because one of the first mopars I saw was a 71 sassy grass GTX, and that image has stayed with me. The 73-74 plys never really did it for me in the styling department,the rear bumper really skews the lines on those cars - it trails off reward instead of tucking underneath and kills the look. If they offered an east/west hood stripe and hood similar to the 71/72s, I think it would have helped a lot as well. What sucks is that the body was new for 73, as far as I know nothing will swap out from 71/2 like on the Chargers, or will it? They are nice cars but you can tell the times were changing at chrysler - many of those styling cues would be repeated until the end of the 70s.

The 71-72 Chargers will always command more money because you could still get the Hemi and the 440+6 in 71 and 72 has the same look and you skip the iso-crap suspension. I never really liked the sail panel treatment on any of them though, so I would rather the 73/74 hardtops. I think the 73/74 Chargers would have been more popular in recent years if they did not suffer from such an identity crisis. With the right color those cars are downright awesome, but the wrong color and some luxo options, and it's a whole other car, one that is less desirable.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies, folks! I think I lucked out with my '74. Now all I need is a 71-72 RR and I'll have the two greatest looking cars ever made, IMHO.

Check out this photo - now, the patch on the fender is obviously a rust repair, but picture that as a hood stripe and hood ala the 71/2s. It really draws the eye and pinches the body, as opposed to the factory stripes which just made the 73/4s look longer and made the rear look huge. Light color top helps, too.

sebring.jpg

I've seen a few 73/74 power-bulge hoods on 71/72 RRs, and they look freakin' awesome as long as the two fender lines in the front corners are flattened out.

71-72 or 73-74 Chargers

Here's some old adverts. & a couple photos from here & DC.com, I like the 1971 Charger/Super Bee the best of the Gen 3's personally, mainly because it was still considered part of the Muscle Car era, not that the 72-73-74 in other years aren't just as nice of cars, they are, but after 1972 they really weren't really considered Muscle Cars any longer... I personally think, it's that mentality, is why the 71's & even 72's can bring more value, that doesn't mean they are any better, unless it's a Hemi or Six Pack car of course...LOL..., just not as desirable in the resale collector car market, as the 71's or even 72's... No good rime or reason... I'd like to have a 71 Hemi or 440 six pack 4spd car, who wouldn't ??, but I would also still like a 72-74 cloned to a BB Hemi or 440 4spd car look alike....

Attachments

• 71 Super Bee Charger RT Advert. #1.jpg
    71 Super Bee Charger RT Advert. #1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 366
  • 74 Charger steering wheels.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 356
  • 74 Charger Rallye 440 magnum Aztec Gold.jpg
    74 Charger Rallye 440 magnum Aztec Gold.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 376
some of my thought has been already posted by some other members... I will just post some of my thoughts mostly based on Chargers

71/72 vs 73/74 value and desirable deal is just about performance look equipment options. Stuff like louvered doors, agressive hood, stripes, in some cases tail lights, hideaways and wings. Some of these weren't even on 72s

72 rallye can be with 318 and will be desirable for the looks not for the engine

Engine performance ? actually who cares nowdays, if you can build anything on any car ? just makes a diff if is a matching numbers, but a 71 wth 318 more valuable than a 74 with 360 ? there is not a logic reason, just fetichism about getting a 71 "BECAUSE IS A MUSCLE CAR AGE", or if you likes more the body lines from a 71

Now, I have driven both groups of cars and my conclusions.

73/74 is MORE COMFY than 71/72. Isolated suspension THATS NICE GOD... WHAT DO I CARE TO FEEL EVERY SMALL STONE ON THE ROAD ? Comfortability and performance can live together... if not, take a look to modern sporty performance cars.

Damn I have driven a 70 R/T and I likes more how I feel on my 74!, beside just the fetichism on get a 2nd gen and the WOW factor what I like ( 69 is one of my dreamed cars ), I wouldn't trade my 74 for driver. Interior is more friendly on 3d gens

I love BIGGER quarter glass. I like my ppl enjoining the view on rear bench allmost like a do driving it. The 71/72 rear seat is a cage with smaller windows

and just on a personal taste, I like more 73/74 tail lights look than any of the earliers. Just jelous of the metalic housing build instead plastic like 73/74 are. I likes more also the 73/74 grilles, but 71s are my second best choice. Don't like 72s on any way. Hideaways... 71 likes more than 72s

NOTE APPART... THE REAR TAIL LIGHT PICS LOOKS FAMILIAR TO ME LOL... even it has a little mistake I took care years later I made it, and actually wasn't my idea. I edited one what looks the same but with some other mistakes

NOW, talking about Plymouths... THOSE REALLY GOT A CHANGE ON AGRESSIVE LOOK on the 72 and 73 year change... definitelly 71/72s are waaaaay better than 73/74. They look nice but not such as nice like 71/72s. They have same 73/74 Charger quarter glass openings, thats NICE... Then the diff grilles between RR/Standards or GTXs... RRs are the best, but the rest doesn't look bad either

I can't give more opinions on Plymouths though, they never got same "performance" look options on any year like 71/72 Charger did, beside stripes and Hood

I know a lot of people consider '71 to be the last year of the "muscle car", but i respectfully disagree. I am a little younger than many on this board, and my teen years were in the 80's. For most of my generation, you couldn't get your hands on anything made before 1975 (unless it was a camaro or a mustang, seemingly endless supply of both). So we drove around in cars made between 1975-1985. The '73-'74's still had plenty of kick(granted they were almost never stock under the hood) but most cars '75 and later just seemed flat by comparison, not to mention that '74 was the last year of the 'cuda, challenger, GTO and AMC Javelin, the styling of the camaros and firebirds went to hell and the mustang was (for all intents and purposes) DEAD. To me the '73-'74 are just as desirable as the '71-'72, from the viewpoint of many in MY generation '74 was the end of the line of the muscle car era (seems more of a gray area of fading rather than an actual cut and dry "line" though) ~ just my 2 cents

60268_124118004402986_549447592_n.jpg

When I took my '74 Road Runner to shows, I remember people saying, "the front end looks like a Buick". :icon_puke_l: I knew what they were saying as the headlight surrounds did look like a '75 LeSabre. I had a '71, '72, and '74, and my favorite was the '71.

When I took my '74 Road Runner to shows, I remember people saying, "the front end looks like a Buick". :icon_puke_l: I knew what they were saying as the headlight surrounds did look like a '75 LeSabre. I had a '71, '72, and '74, and my favorite was the '71.

Yeah, I gotta be honest and say that I can't get enough of the '71-'72 RR. The '73-'74 RR just doesn't do it for me at all, because the front end of the '71-'72 RR is the most amazing design of a front end of a vehicle ever made, IMHO. The later 2 years front end is OK, but it's so dull compared to the earlier front end.
71roadrunner.jpg1973_plymouth_road_runner-pic-493296149157416221.jpg

I've had 3 '71 Chargers, a 500, a base coupe with the fixed rear windows and the SE I have now. I've also had a '72 Charger SE, original 400 car and a '72 Satellite Sebring. My preference is the '71/2, especially the '71's, they were the last with the flush mount, model specific side markers, and so many other like idiosyncracies.

My biggest complaints about the '73 and later is the mush mount K frames, LA-B/RB specific K frames, crash bumpers, down on power (not a big deal anymore) and stuff like that.

I would take any year from '74 to '66 though, don't like the Cordoba Chargers sorry :sideways tongue:

Hey waygun, Just bought RH45G3G with 318 3 spd was sold in Marysville tenn. new been sitting a while so needs some work, but drove it home through the Appalation Mountains I'll be looking for wagon parts now. I think alot will interchange with 71/72 W and R I have a 71/72 parts catalogs, looking for a 73. Jim Atlanta

I know the original post is about Chargers, but since some have mentioned Plymouths, I agree what someone said about them looking long.
I found that swapping out my RR 1/4 windows with ones that roll down from a Satellite, removing the bumper guards, and adding a
Plymouth decal to that billboard sized rear quarter, and 71 spoiler helps at least give the illusion that it is not as big as it really is.
I used to want a 71-72 Roadrunner, but my 74 has grown on me. And being only 1 of 280 400 4-speed cars, I'll hang onto it :)

RRWH1.jpg

Tattooedblue, that 74 RR is amazing. I'm not usually a fan of aftermarket rims, but god damn your vehicle is TOUGH!

Tattooedblue, that 74 RR is amazing. I'm not usually a fan of aftermarket rims, but god damn your vehicle is TOUGH!

Thank you :)
It is always a big compliment when someone says they are usually not a fan of something, but likes yours

It's funny how people like a certain year and gripes about all the rest. I was actually looking at buying a 74 yellow plymouth road runner/ satty on sleezy bay. It sold before I could muster up the gumption to bid on it. I decided to look at the Charger's. Always liked the 71 r/t's and never really looked at any of the other Charger's. I kinda liked the 73 SE's with the opera windows. Then I stumbled onto the car I bought. The 72 Rallye, it had everything (options)I would've wanted if I had ordered it myself. Of coarse i've grown to like my car more than the others. Probably because I see it everyday and dream of the cruise night in the far off distant land that I hopefully will be pulling up to in my finished Charger. But to be honest, i'd take any one of these cars as a driver.

I like all 71/74 2 doors B bodies but If you ask me which one I'd choose, will be 71/72 RR ( or GTX ), and 74 Charger ( which is already my car )

would be great all 73/74s was got some of the real performance look options, althought not talking about louvers/gilles. I don't like louvers or gills ( except on Cuda Fenders ). What I love is the 71 Superbee hood insert.

taking about Plymouth, 72 RR grill is KILLER thought, over the rest ( that's the reason I'd choose the 72 RR )

Keyed colored bumpers looks GREAT too, but I'm a chrome lover. Hard to choose though.

Models I woudn't choose unles I don't have any other option are 73/74 SE Chargers or 73/74 Satelite in any form. Not saying they are ugly or anything, but over the rest, those woudn't make me think on an option to choose.

Auto Transport Service
Back