• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 charger fender tag decode please

Neal Zimmerman

Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score
OK , I am back, I was bellyaching in June about a 1971 charger that got away. Well I'm back and now I have found a complete 72 charger ho-hum 318/column shift/bench seat /8.25 rear end car. It seems pretty straight and solid ( except for some trunk gutter spots and rear window corners) Not too worried about that. Floors are solid, trunks solid , metal is pretty straight, and I believe almost everything is there except a radiator and taillights. It comes with tons of spare sheetmetal too, basically a whole set of fenders, hood, doors and trunk Interior is all there, etc. plus 2 complete steel crank 440s with trannies. Its really a pretty boring FE5 car with basic bench seat and column shift, but one I can customize without feeling too guilty. He threw out 7k, but I think he will go quite a bit lower, he wants it out of his shop as its taking up so much room.
Heres the fender tag if anybody has a book-
Bottom line- E44 d34 WL21 g2a 191942
next line up-fe5 b2x9 tx9 518 079069
3rd line up- v4x
auxilary plate - N

OK , I am back, I was bellyaching in June about a 1971 charger that got away. Well I'm back and now I have found a complete 72 charger ho-hum 318/column shift/bench seat /8.25 rear end car. It seems pretty straight and solid ( except for some trunk gutter spots and rear window corners) Not too worried about that. Floors are solid, trunks solid , metal is pretty straight, and I believe almost everything is there except a radiator and taillights. It comes with tons of spare sheetmetal too, basically a whole set of fenders, hood, doors and trunk Interior is all there, etc. plus 2 complete steel crank 440s with trannies. Its really a pretty boring FE5 car with basic bench seat and column shift, but one I can customize without feeling too guilty. He threw out 7k, but I think he will go quite a bit lower, he wants it out of his shop as its taking up so much room.
Heres the fender tag if anybody has a book-
3rd line up- v4x
auxilary plate - N
Also I forgot to ask, what besides money and stupidity does it take to make the outside look like a 1971. I know about the side markers. What's it take to swap grilles over to the non flipping headlight set up, and 71 Rallye taillights. Anything else? I'm sure trim inside is a bit different but I don't care about that

I don't about all the codes I would have to look them up.
But I would NOT pass on this deal

You pretty much covered it in your post.

318 904 auto 2 door coupe built in Lynch Road.

FE5 red Black bench black door frame, SPD 518.

3rd line up- v4x
Black half vinyl.

auxilary plate - N
Inspection tag

Must be a Lynch Road car and not showing hardly any options.

71 grills should bolt in in place of the 72 grills.

RT/Rallye tail lights are expensive. Possibly repro'd, though.

WL cars (back side window is fixed) are about 1/6th the production of WH cars, and it's red on black, not too rusty, with spare parts? I would jump on that. They made around 5000 318 WL 72 Chargers, so no harm in making it into what you desire.

71-72 cars are quite the same. Most everything will bolt onto one or other with some minor differences in pattern or color.

WL cars (back side window is fixed) are about 1/6th the production of WH cars, and it's red on black, not too rusty, with spare parts? I would jump on that. They made around 5000 318 WL 72 Chargers, so no harm in making it into what you desire.

71-72 cars are quite the same. Most everything will bolt onto one or other with some minor differences in pattern or color.
Aha, I thought those rear quarter windows looked a little different.

Let's see it.

Must be a Lynch Road car and not showing hardly any options.

71 grills should bolt in in place of the 72 grills.

RT/Rallye tail lights are expensive. Possibly repro'd, though.
What about the doors? The R/T at special

Agreed. Let’s see her

453400403_870905871617528_4262179038611271908_n.jpg

453538427_742242757970424_5907057833901538032_n.jpg

Shes very straight and solid. Just boring . When I went to look at it I expected a scalped out parts car, but shes all there for the most part. Title and VIN numbers are all square. I'm gonna offer him 4500 for starters. Too much? What you guys think??

What about the doors? The R/T at special

Those are also CRAZY expensive. Both the 71 R/T and the 72 Rallye.

Even the cut out scallop sections from rusted out or dented doors are insanely costly.

Standard advice to anyone looking at 71-74 B body cars:

Check the cowl
Check the cowl
Check the cowl

From those angles, it appears straight and solid.

Check the cowl.

Shes very straight and solid. Just boring . When I went to look at it I expected a scalped out parts car, but shes all there for the most part. Title and VIN numbers are all square. I'm gonna offer him 4500 for starters. Too much? What you guys think??
Got nothing to lose

A bulge hood does wonders for these.

-Repro'd by AMD (although not 100% correct at the cowl vent I understand).

So does a set of rear wheels and tires that actually take up most of the huge wheel wells.

-As easy as ebay.

If you apply the 71 R/T scallop decals, it creates a bit of an optical illusion, and causes a closer inspection to see if the scallops are actually there or not.

Auto Transport Service
Back