• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 Door Handle Reinforcement Bracket Question

MetalSteve

Local time
12:04 AM
Reaction score
I have this one bracket but can't remember which side it goes on
and also figure out how it orientates. I acquired different door panels
from an unknown car YEARS ago and they don't seem to have slots for the
metal hand part that sticks up. How the heck do these go
and am I supposed to have two of them, one for drivers' and one passengers' ???
Excuse my ignorance.

IMG_5188.JPG

IMG_5190 arrow.jpg

IMG_5192-Brighter.jpg

Did I ask a super dumb question ? I mean, I'm pretty sure the bracket is for the driver's side but I can't put it in place where it looks like it should line up with the hand hold of the door panel. I am using different door panels, they didn't come with my particular car. Did some cars come with no door panel handle reinforcement brackets ??? And were they not necessary for the passenger side ???

They mount on the backside of the lower door panel. Here is a couple pics of a passenger side mounted. Drivers is the same just reversed.

IMG_3750.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG

This is what I have - Is it the passenger side or the driver side ??? That's the passenger door panel...

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

Some later door panels don't use these....I know 71-2 did and by sometime in '73 they were gone..

That's a later panel.

Some later door panels don't use these....I know 71-2 did and by sometime in '73 they were gone..

That's a later panel.
Okay - well at least I feel better - I thought I was a complete moron for awhile there... so the earlier panels (like what originally came w/ my car) had provisions for that 45 degree angled plate to fit then... My car was built March of '72. Either way, that's fine. The panels I'm using are temporaries until I can afford new, and correct ones, in white. Thank guys !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back