• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 2-3 shift flare up at wot

Update: Flare up is fixed. Im writing down what i did and what i found in case someone has a similar issue and finds this thread in the future:

Been draining the transmission oil + dropping the valve body about 4 times now for the past 2 days. To my surprise i found 2 restrictor plugs in the same hole behind each other. One that was punched-in almost all the way to the bottom with the restrictor hole punched-through and another one that was only halfway in and then grinded off flush. Looks like they had trouble getting it in.

They looked like this inside the transmission. I didn't destroy them in the process of pulling them out:
niMMHSB.jpg

WyWbYd0.jpg

As suggested, i ended up tapping a 1/8" - 27 NPT thread and then used pipe plugs with various hole sizes. The original plug had a 3.5mm hole (~0.14"):
hx8jxng.jpg

5K2eViV.jpeg

First test was with a 3.7mm hole which already made it slightly better. I went with increasing increments and ended up with a 4.5mm hole, which made a very quick and crisp shift up to about 7/8 throttle. But there still was a flare up of about 200rpm at fullthrottle. In the end the hole would have had to be larger than the hexagon inside the plug so i ended up removing the restrictor plug alltogether which seems to have fixed the problem without any noticeable downsides in part-throttle shifting.

Getting the valve body out was sometimes a hassle. I found out that rotating the rear wheels until the parking pawl clicks in made it significantly easier to pull it out.

Thanks everyone for the help

Last edited:
Good work, the feed hole is just one variable, it works in conjunction with the number of springs in the high gear clutch, 2nd gear lever, band adjustment, fluid pressure. Putting a thread in the high gear feed hole is the way to go.
I don't use a restrictor also but I use 15 springs and five clutches in the front drum. It is set up to run a brake.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back