• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 band adjustment with trans in the car

SlinktRR

Local time
5:52 PM
Reaction score
This is a '70 torqueflite with radiator mounted trans cooler. I just changed the fluid, set 1st/reverse band with a 5/16" square plug socket, and changed to a deep pan with drain and filter extension spacer. All that is good and it runs good, I did 72inlbs and then back off 2 turns and lock the jam nut according to Carl Munro's book. However I cant seem to find a straightforward way to do the same band adjustment for the 2-3 kickdown on the side of the housing with trans in the car.

There is a cooling line and kickdown cable in the way, and even with those disconnected it's tight for using a torque wrench. Can this be done by feel with 5/16" open wrench on the plug while holding the jam nut stationary? Anyone have a combo of tools or technique that worked? I dont have a lift so any ideas that limit time on my back would be appreciated, I will gladly buy the right tools (I managed to get the 5/16" plug socket from amazon) but want to avoid dropping the trans.

Do it by hand with an open end wrench on adjuster and box wrench on locknut.

Others have been doing this since these care were new, no problem.

As soon as the nut starts getting some effort to move. Take it between 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Will get you pretty close

As soon as the nut starts getting some effort to move. Take it between 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Will get you pretty close

Thanks, do you mean:

1) tighten down the square head adjuster til finger tight, then 1/8 to 1/4" out and lock with jam nut; or,

2) use wrench to snug down the bolt where it's hard to tighten further without effort, then open the bolt 1/8 to 1/4 and tighten the jam nut to lock?

Using a small 5/16" wrench without using the torque wrench back it off 1 3/4 turns. It'll be plenty close.
Doug

Thanks, do you mean:

1) tighten down the square head adjuster til finger tight, then 1/8 to 1/4" out and lock with jam nut; or,

2) use wrench to snug down the bolt where it's hard to tighten further without effort, then open the bolt 1/8 to 1/4 and tighten the jam nut to lock?
Once finger tight. Turn it an additional turn between 1/8 - 1/4 ,, it replicates the 72inch lbs

Back it off the 1+1/2 to 1+3/4 turns ----- Snug down the jam nut -- done

I just snug it up finger tight and back it off 1 1/2 turns.
I have been doing it that way for 60 years with no issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back