• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 front planet and sun gear shell rubbing

Cudatali

Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
Hello as I’m going through my 727 I noticed rub marks on the shell and on the welds of the front planet ring gear. The thrust washer looks like it’s never been touched! Is there different thickness 3 tang washers available? This one measures .062 and like I said it’s apparent it’s never made contact with the front planet ring gear. Or my problem something else? Thanks for any help

IMG_8015.jpeg

IMG_8016.jpeg

A couple of thoughts that could cause this. Sun shell wobbles on the sun gear. Sun gear bushings worn so the sun gear itself wobbles on the shaft. Wrong spline angle planet causing it to fit loose on the shaft. Or the welds are just plain to high.
Doug

Hello as I’m going through my 727 I noticed rub marks on the shell and on the welds of the front planet ring gear. The thrust washer looks like it’s never been touched! Is there different thickness 3 tang washers available? This one measures .062 and like I said it’s apparent it’s never made contact with the front planet ring gear. Or my problem something else? Thanks for any help

View attachment 1727536

View attachment 1727537
Cuda, the planet carrier should not stick out of the ring gear assy. like it does in that image. is it missing the thrust washer inside (for the photo anyway) ?

Auto Transport Service
Back