• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 will only go in reverse

mike rotch

Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
For backstory I have A 440/727 in my roadrunner. I pulled the engine and trans out to freshen the engine up and paint the engine bay. After everything was said and done I installed an aftermarket shifter and got the cable adjusted and verified it clicks into each proper gear on the transmission. For some reason the transmission will go into reverse in the Drive, reverse, and neutral position. If I put it in any other gear it acts as though it’s in neutral and will not pull at all. I didn’t do anything to the transmission while it was out and it drove perfectly fine before. I just feel stuck at this point and I’m not sure where to go. Also I do not have the kick down hooked up right now as I’m waiting for the new one to arrive, so I’m not driving it but I’d like to at least be able to pull it out of the garage under its own power. Any help would be appreciated.

What shifter is it? U must have something misadjusted. Tell us how u set it up. Kim
It’s a winders sidewinder shifter. It was a column shift car but I put headers on and switched it to a console shifter. I put in on by the book just like how they have it. Only thing it I left the old shift lever on the actual transmission. I’m thinking this may be the culprit but still it shifts into each proper gear location even with that. I’m planning on switching to the one that came with the shifter but I’m gonna have to haul it out to work first so I can get it on a lift. I’m tired of laying on my back lol

Thank you. Once I get it on I’ll update the thread to let you know if it worked. Much appreciated!

Not being silly, but also check the fluid level. (In neutral with car running)

Auto Transport Service
Back