• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 A57 Charger 400HP Electrical Issue On Start Up

JG71B

Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
When I first fire the Rallye up, the ammeter gauge pegs to the right while warming it up. 1 or 2 pumps of the pedal and it always fires right up. After a few minutes, it centers back to normal. Should I be looking at the regulator or alternator going full field? It's seems to do it mainly when I first start it for the day and very seldom, if at all while it's warm out and about. Every so often it might do it if I'm in a store or something for a few and start it back up but it doesn't do it nowhere near as long as it does it at initial start up. Any ideas. Appreciate any help!

Last edited:
No problem…. Fired my ‘68 up today,1st time in 6days. Pegged the amp gauge, 10secs later, almost dead center. Original style alternator. Had to crank maybe 6secs. How old is the battery?

I'll load test it etc tonight. Not sure how old it is honestly. I'll swap batteries with my 71 first and see what happens. Busy, haven't seen either in days

Auto Transport Service
Back