• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 lowest gear ratio available

Pouria

Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody know the lowest ratio gear available for 8 3/4? Is it possible to custom order the gear near a specific ratio?

Sorry to make you confused, I meant the highest ratio not the lowest! Anything higher than 2.76:1?

why would you want more than what is available
it will be best to add over drive than gears

I have non O/D 4 speed A833! The gears available from the old era are no more used by the modern cars. I think I can get better millage with something like 2.2:1 gear and nicer highway cruise. In case there is a stroker big block behind the story, I believe a higher gear is the winning point. Do you think so?

I vaguely remember a 3.03 vicinity ratio available at one time. Won't swear to it, but seems like it.

Hi Pouria, may I ask what speed you are wanting to approach and sustain regularly?

The reason that 2.76 is the tallest ratio offered is because as the ratio gets taller, higher....The pinion gear gets bigger. The 2.76 is the biggest that fits in the 8 3/4" case.

Hi Pouria, may I ask what speed you are wanting to approach and sustain regularly?
As a highway cruiser, I have to observe the speed limit of 75mph but when there is no police I may want to satisfy my soul by going as high as 150:headbang: but actually, I am thinking of the 512CID stroker motor along with the highest gear to achieve reasonable millage. I would like to see the monster rev around 2500 @ 75mph.

Pouria, I see that you are from Tehran. Just curious, how much does fuel cost over there? One idea would be to use the 2.76's and fit the largest diameter tire that you could find. I'm running 30" Mickey Thompson ET Streets; the tall tire makes my 4.10 gears feel a bit more like 3.91's or maybe even into the 3.80's.

Pouria, I see that you are from Tehran. Just curious, how much does fuel cost over there? One idea would be to use the 2.76's and fit the largest diameter tire that you could find. I'm running 30" Mickey Thompson ET Streets; the tall tire makes my 4.10 gears feel a bit more like 3.91's or maybe even into the 3.80's.
Yes I am from Tehran. The fuel is 1.15$/US Gallon, seems very cheap but the average income here is less than 400$! Yes, using tall tires would be another consideration to increase the final ratio and I would like to use 16" wheels. Maybe 245/40-16 would be my choice.

As a highway cruiser, I have to observe the speed limit of 75mph but when there is no police I may want to satisfy my soul by going as high as 150:headbang: but actually, I am thinking of the 512CID stroker motor along with the highest gear to achieve reasonable millage. I would like to see the monster rev around 2500 @ 75mph.
a 2.76 gear with a 28" tall tire is 75mph at 2500rpm.

a 2.76 gear with a 28" tall tire is 75mph at 2500rpm.
I'll love it then.

Thank you all for the useful info. Now, how can I tell my own gear? How should I know if I have a sure-grip or not? It is the original gear of my 1973 Charger 340 Rallye with 727.
Another question is, how strong are the stock gears? Can a 2.76 gear handle the high pressure of a 512 stroker motor? What about the trany? my 727 has already been swapped with an A833 out of a 70 Challenger. By the setup I am planning to build, I have a high toque motor at one end and a high gear at the other end that doesn't let the car start moving easily. Everything in between will be under extreme pressure and load, could that make any problem?

Jack up the rear so the wheels are off the ground. Start spinning one of the wheels if both wheels start spinning the same direction you have a sure grip if they spin opposite directions you have a one legger.
If it's a stock rear which I assume, you'll want aftermarket internals.
I'll love it then.

Thank you all for the useful info. Now, how can I tell my own gear? How should I know if I have a sure-grip or not? It is the original gear of my 1973 Charger 340 Rallye with 727.
Another question is, how strong are the stock gears? Can a 2.76 gear handle the high pressure of a 512 stroker motor? What about the trany? my 727 has already been swapped with an A833 out of a 70 Challenger. By the setup I am planning to build, I have a high toque motor at one end and a high gear at the other end that doesn't let the car start moving easily. Everything in between will be under extreme pressure and load, could that make any problem?

Jack up the rear so the wheels are off the ground. Start spinning one of the wheels if both wheels start spinning the same direction you have a sure grip if they spin opposite directions you have a one legger.
If it's a stock rear which I assume, you'll want aftermarket internals.
Wooow, I didn't know that! I try this next time I go to the garage and post the result!

Which aftermarket vendor is more reputable and has 2.76?

Last edited:
I checked a few vendors but non of the seem to offer 2.76 gears! Aren't 2.76s being reproduced?

they're not made anymore but when they were produced they were plentiful.

Auto Transport Service
Back