• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

8 3/4 Setup Questions

duff

Local time
3:26 AM
Reaction score
Little background story: I picked up an 8 3/4 a few months back to stick in my 63 so I wouldn't have to bother with the tool to get my drums off ever. I knew I'd have to do the brakes as my car has been sitting in a barn since 88. I was in a hurry with a 1 month old at home and did a once over when buying, everything looked clean and I grabbed a drum and spun it to make sure it was a sure-grip. Got it home and stuck it in a corner until this weekend.

On Saturday I dragged it out to get started and realize there's no pinion nut and the pinion has sunk back into the case! I pulled it all apart, the gears look ok, although they're 2.76 instead of the advertised 3.23. My fault I guess for being in such a hurry.

So can I just put a new nut on and torque it or do I need to re-do the whole thing? And since I have the original style axle bearings, should I swap these with these sealed type? If not is there an easy way to pack them prior to re-assembly?

Sorry about being long-winded, I appreciate anyone's opinion.

First off, what is the case number on the driver's side of the chunk? If it's an 89 (last two numbers), it's a tapered pinion with a crush sleeve. If it is, you have to be careful when you tighten it up so you don't crush the sleeve more and lock it up. If it's a 41 or a 42, yes, you can just slam on a new nut. With the 89, tighten it up a bit at a time and rotate it by hand to see how it feels. The book has an inch pound measurement for that but it's also measured without a seal and with the pinion only installed. Not a real world deal. I just go by feel and use a liberal dab of red Loctite....I also use a dab of Loctite on all my pinion nuts.

Thanks for the info, it is a 489.

Auto Transport Service
Back