• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

833 overdrive questions

smatt

Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody is running a later year 833 OD trans in a b-body?

I brought one home from the junk yard yesterday...
got home and started doing some research on it...
Casting number C-13546-B date coded from '83 so it is an OD 833 out of a van or truck.

From what I've found from searching the main complaints are the wide gear spacing kills performance, and the aluminum case in not as durable.

Does anybody have details on bushing the casing for durability.
What kind of HP can these trans take?
Is it cost effective to put different gears in it to make it more performance friendly.

I have a '68 Coronet 318/auto. I was planning on converting to a 383/4spd.
So when I thought I had found a good deal on a 4spd I bought it... the guy told me it was out of a road runner, but if it was it was obviously not original.

I was hoping to build a 400-450hp motor. I do not plan on drag racing, this will be a street car/ cruiser so the OD is a possibly benifit. if it can be rebuilt for durability.

Will these hold up to a big block spirited street driving?

Thanks for any info good or bad about these trans..

The O/D (.7 reduction) allows you to use a deep rear gear and still cruise the freeway, but a deep gear combined with the low first gear will cause you to be shifting real soon. Also, with a big torque engine you may very well destroy the trans because of the low first gear. Treat it gentle and it will last a long time, but I suspect that you will tire of use only 2 & 3 most of the time.

Don't waste your time on it because it won't hold up to that kind of power.....

So maybe it is only worth keeping to use behind the 318 for now if I'm not going to switch to a big block right away??

Can you change out the 1st gear out to make it more streetable?

Is 1st gear unstreetable? Not sure what you mean but you could probably contact Passon Performance or some other transmission parts company for info.....

Don't waste your time on it because it won't hold up to that kind of power.....

Yes, that and the gear split is not favorable for a hipo car.

Passon Peformance makes a gear set that will fit right in to a standard 4 speed case that has the same gear splits as a 727 auto on the first three gears with an overdrive gear in 4th AND it has the same H.D. gears as a Hemi 4 speed.

I just assembled my old 18 spline using the Passon OD gear set. I don't recall the actual ratios but the spread is about 40% between 1- 2 and 2 - 3. The OD will bring my 4.10's to a 3.21. Everything fit together really well and Jaime is great to deal with too.

I also have an aluminum OD trans and I'll agree it's not suited for major torque, even with the 308 bearings. One option would be to build it into a cast iron case (with 307 or 308 brgs) but I think you have to change something to make it work. Not a big deal from what I understand. Doing this mod will add a considerable amount of strength to the unit.

As far as the gear spread goes I'll also agree you better have a wide power band to keep the engine at peak efficiency. I think it has a 2.90:1 first gear as opposed to a 2.65 or 2.66:1. Bottom line is it will get you down the road but don't hammer it repeatedly. Small block and a light car is a plus!

Thanks for the input...

I'm going to see if the junk yard will take it back in swap for a BB K-frame they had.

If not i'll be interested in more info on the swap the with the 308 bearings?
So am I understanding right that you can add the 308 bearings to the aluminum case to make it stronger??

i dont think you need to change the k member,just big block mounts and your good to go,mark

Thanks for the input...

I'm going to see if the junk yard will take it back in swap for a BB K-frame they had.

If not I'll be interested in more info on the swap the with the 308 bearings?
So am I understanding right that you can add the 308 bearings to the aluminum case to make it stronger??

The aluminum case already has the 308 bearings, or at least mine does. The weak link is the aluminum case itself. Find a donor iron case and swap the guts into it. But remember, I think you have to do some mod to make the iron case work. Now, the catch with the iron case is most early ones have the 307 bearing and only the expensive 18 spline has the 308 bearing. Even if you find an iron 307 bearing case you will still be ahead of the game. Best source for questions is Passon http://www.passonperformance.com/

Auto Transport Service
Back