• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 Torque flight - Neutral, reverse, and park won't go into gear after driving

Ellis_G

Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to share an issue I am having with my transmission. It is a 904 torque flight push button trans hooked up to a 318. Car runs great while it is cold. Shifts through all the gears no problem. The issue I am having is that after about 10 or so miles and I go to park the car, the transmission won't "push" into neutral or reverse. It feels like the cable is almost binding on something but only after the transmission has heated up. This leaves me stranded in places because with it not being in neutral, the neutral safety switch isn't engaged and the car won't start.

One thing to note is that after these 10 or so miles, driving wise, the car has no issues going into 1,2,3. The issue only happens when I try and park.

Things I have currently done to try and solve the issue...
1. I have taken out the shifting mechanism out of the back of the dash, inspected and cleaned the heck out of it. Everything there looks complete.
2. I ordered a new push button cable and made sure it is adjusted right.
3. I dropped the transmission pan and looked to see it there was anything potentially broken or bent. To my eyes everything looks good. It shifts fine 1,2,D,N,R while it was up in the air.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any idea what to check/change next. I was thinking maybe the neutral safety switch but idk if that would be a waste of time.

This is a "first time" problem in my over 50 years of repairing TFs! Are there any clearance issues with the exhaust pipe to cable? What year and model of car?
Mike

This is a "first time" problem in my over 50 years of repairing TFs! Are there any clearance issues with the exhaust pipe to cable? What year and model of car?
Mike
The cable runs straight down the fire wall, some what close to the exhaust. I did consider this and issue so it is currently wrapped in a “exhaust heat shield”

It’s actually in a 64 Plymouth valiant (I know. A body. I saw a thread similar to this on the B body forum so I was going to see if anyone would be able to help. I got no responses on the A body forum)

Auto Transport Service
Back