• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A 833 - FILL INSPECTION PLUG - HOW TIGHT ? rear axle fill plug too ?

moparjon

Local time
11:55 PM
Reaction score
A 833 - How tight should the fill / inspection plug be ? does anyone recommend using the white plumbers tape on the threads ? thanks

ps , while we are at it , what is the spec for foot pounds on the rear axle fill plug 8 3/4 sure grip ? i can't seem to find either .

Last edited:
PST592 liquid thread sealant.

As for tightness, they are tapered pipe threads so need nothing more than snug.

I like dry and 30 ft Lbs. As said it's pipe threads, it's not going to fall out or vibrate loose.

When you have to pull hard with a long wrench that is way too tight.

Tight enough not to leak is pretty much my plan. Pipe joint sealer is probably a good idea.

The PST592 performs 2 functions; keeps it from sweating, and acts as an antiseize the next time it comes out

I went to mechanics school and worked in dealerships and shops on mainly American cars. I've never seen any new car have sealer on these plugs. I've never read in a service manual to put any sealer on these drain/fill plugs.

How many leaks do you see on these? Not many.

Now you could use it as it won't hurt anything.

Now the Teflon tape is a real bad idea on a transfer case as many of them have an oil pump inside and you wouldn't want to plug that with the fragments of tape.

I went to mechanics school and worked in dealerships and shops on mainly American cars. I've never seen any new car have sealer on these plugs. I've never read in a service manual to put any sealer on these drain/fill plugs.

How many leaks do you see on these? Not many.

Now you could use it as it won't hurt anything.

Now the Teflon tape is a real bad idea on a transfer case as many of them have an oil pump inside and you wouldn't want to plug that with the fragments of tape.
NPT threads in general need a sealer, just because of the form of the male and female threads. If you’re careful you shouldn’t get any inside. The case isn’t under pressure so less critical.

I have had problems sealing up 833s in the past so maybe I’m over doing it on the plugs. Since I started getting the right parts from Brewers and using the right sealers, I don’t have any leaks.

Auto manufacturers warranty their cars against leaks and they built multiple millions of cars with no sealer on these NPT oil drain/fill plugs. Good enough for me because. mine don't leak either. LOL

If YOU need think they sealer, well then they need it

Auto Transport Service
Back