• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A sad and vivid personal memory

j-c-c-62

Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
This ship linked below in 1960 I boarded in NYC while docked during a road trip from Florida my dad and I took in his white 1951 Mercury with suicide doors.
On this trip our car was broken into in DC while we attended the movie "The Guns of Navarone", and the thieves only stole my new patent leather vinyl suitcase, while dad's brand new very expensive Polaroid camera sat on the front seat merely covered by an unfolded map, untouched.

This ship left a mark on me. Months before the trip I entered two model cars in my first local model car contest. One was a tow car and the other was a race car. I was ridiculed from memory by my Mom and older sister because one car was bright Green and the other bright Blue, and in their world that was an improper color combination. Even my Dad was aware of the critique.

As we boarded the famous ship (built in 1952) while docked and first entered the main lobby, my dad laughed, and I was bewildered, the lobby color scheme mimicked the blue and green combination my model cars were in.

I have been color conscious ever since

A Florida county's plan to turn a historic ship into the world's largest artificial reef hits a snag (msn.com)

This a similar car we traveled in on this trip, V8 flathead, the only non mopar we ever drove.

OIP 51mercury.jpg

Last edited:
DeltaV, thank you so much. I have searched online unsuccessfully for any pics that you just posted.

Gives me goosebumps, thanks again. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back