• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 Shifting Problems

Mault426

Local time
3:53 PM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Hoping that the internet will come to my rescue. I had my trans rebuilt top to bottom, new gears the works. So the problem is she shifts smooth all thru 1-4 but coming back down 3-2 is almost impossible and if you do find 2 going down to 1 is very hard also. Will shift into 1 at a stand still or very very slow. Also 2nd will randomly pop out of gear too during deacceleration or light acceleration over time. Is this a separate problem or co-related? I have done countless linkage adjustments so far.

Any more tips or tricks to point me in the right direction is muchly appreciated.

Sounds like the 1st-2nd synchro assembly and possibly 2nd gear but you say its all new?

Popping out of gear might be a very worn slider. Possibly worn main shaft rollers?

IMG_4342.jpeg

What car year make and model. What shifter? Stock or aftermarket? Is the clutch new? Is the clutch adjusted correctly? Is the bellhousing aligned with the crankshaft centerline?

What oil is insode? Synthetic or petroleum? Weight of the oil?

Fully rebuilt by what shop? Do you have a receipt and a Warranty? It shouldn't be doing these actions.

You can't, or shouldn't be able to just down shift from a higher gear without going to neutral and bringing the lower gear up to speed. As far as popping out, I would point at a worn gear. With the quality of new stuff, I don't even trust new stuff. One member here has a Brewer rebuilt trans with new parts and doesn't like shifting into 2nd. Forget about oil, clutch adjustments, shift linkage adjustments. Why are all of the other shifts normal? Don't get lost in the weeds.

Sounds like a rebuilder issue. A quality rebuild should not leave those issues, even if the engagement teeth are worn a change to torque-loc sliders would normally handle the pop-outs. If new synchro rings were in fact installed I would suspect the sliders are excessively worn and possibly a source of the stiff downshifts and need replacing. Did you get a breakdown of parts replaced? Could also be a gear or two with excessively worn engagement teeth.

Popping out of gear can be from a Hurst linkage shift stop that is not adjusted on 2nd or 3rd gear to allow the arm to move the gear fully into engagement. But the other issues sound like you are able to go between gates cleanly which is what shift rod adjustment mostly controls.

Auto Transport Service
Back